• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well here is my 2 cents worth. Save your money and go buy a beer, why buy a stamp when the permits are supposed to pay for stocking. Just like the liciense plate "critical habitat" isn't it all critical?

Here is one, what happened to the money from the lottery? That was supposed to be the end all for DNR and environment, wasn't it. Where did all that money go?

First of all, here is the article of the Minnesota Constitution that requires 40 percent of lottery proceeds go to the environment.

Sec. 14. Environment and natural resources fund. A permanent environment and natural resources trust fund is established in the state treasury. Loans may be made of up to five percent of the principal of the fund for water system improvements as provided by law. The assets of the fund shall be appropriated by law for the public purpose of protection, conservation, preservation, and enhancement of the state's air, water, land, fish, wildlife, and other natural resources. The amount appropriated each year of a biennium, commencing on July 1 in each odd-numbered year and ending on and including June 30 in the next odd-numbered year, may be up to 5-1/2 percent of the market value of the fund on June 30 one year before the start of the biennium. Not less than 40 percent of the net proceeds from any state-operated lottery must be credited to the fund until the year 2025.

You can go to the Minnesota Lottery HSOforum to see the amount of money allotted to the trust fund and the amount spent on projects.

Secondly, the walleye stamp is 100% voluntary and all proceeds, 100%, must be used for stocking purposes. I am amazed at the paranoia displayed by 90 percent of the posters regarding this. You spend way too much time worrying about what might happen. Sure, they could change the law and make it mandatory, but someone finally came up with a way to help our sport. Buy one or don't, it really doesn't matter to me, but for crying outloud try to leave the worn out political paranoid (and often inaccurate) opinions out of it.

By the way, I have had an excellent walleye season. I have already been on the water at least 18 times. Let me do the math. So far that's about $1.00 a day for some great entertainment. Darn that DNR, costing me so much just to do what I have a right to do. In that same time I'm sure I spent $100 on cigars. Hey, what about a cigar stamp?

For the folks who think the monies from a walleye stamp will be diverted away from it's original destination; Could you please show an example of how this is happening to the stamps we already purchase? Pheasant, MN duck, federal duck, trout.

I have always believed that the monies generated by our current stamps is some of the most wisely spent money.

Didn't the walleye stamp grab momentum because of an upcoming fisheries division budget crunch? I believe I read that the fisheries division has been using funds from the hunting division for many years. The fisheries needs to bring in more money to just maintain the level it is currently at. Several ways to do that. First, trying a voluntary stamp seems to be an O.K. way to go. If that doesn't work, some sort of mandatory fee increase will be necessary to maintain our current fisheries.

If that doesn't work, some sort of mandatory fee increase will be necessary to maintain our current fisheries.

No offense to you, I can respect your thoughts. But it is this way of thinking that drives me to drink. sick We can't figure out how to budget with what you have now so we'll just ask for more money. And then in two years we'll raise the license fee and still ask for the volunteer stamp. Then the year after we will make the stamp mandatory. And then in five years we'll introduce a new stamp. Then................ mad

All I'm saying is to learn to budget and show me where the money is going first. I do like the idea another poster had of having a group of citizens control it, like the pheasants forever group. At least then the money goes where it should. That I would be for and happily contribute to. Govt sucks and is way out of control with their spending.

I agree with you shane, but I will also have to add that while yes, they do have to budget with what they have, the costs associated with them doing their jobs are going up as well. Think about the CO's doing their jobs. The price of gas alone has increased dramatically in the last few years. If you have $1,000 budgeted for gas, say, every month, and it's been that way for the last 2 years, can you say that you'll be able to do your job as efficient as before when the money strecthed further? I agree that they need to be careful with their spending and have it watched, but with the cost of things, especially gas and wages going up (CO's are union and have mandatory raises every year), I don't think a little bump in what I pay for a license would be that bad. Especailly if it helps pay to keep our natrual resources in standing order and keep poachers from ruining things for the rest of us.

Quote:
For the folks who think the monies from a walleye stamp will be diverted away from it's original destination; Could you please show an example of how this is happening to the stamps we already purchase? Pheasant, MN duck, federal duck, trout.

I have always believed that the monies generated by our current stamps is some of the most wisely spent money.

Didn't the walleye stamp grab momentum because of an upcoming fisheries division budget crunch? I believe I read that the fisheries division has been using funds from the hunting division for many years. The fisheries needs to bring in more money to just maintain the level it is currently at. Several ways to do that. First, trying a voluntary stamp seems to be an O.K. way to go. If that doesn't work, some sort of mandatory fee increase will be necessary to maintain our current fisheries.

Finally, someone that understands the whole picture!

Are we paying the same for gas and equipment as we were 20 years ago? I think not. How can we expect the Fisheries Department to survive without fee increases in licenses or some other kind of financial help? It is just not possible.

To the people saying well I pay for 10 licenses a year and that is enough. Well YOU choose to hunt or fish that species so you have to pay to play as they say. The money you pay for those licenses go towards habitat, research, and stocking programs.

As far as them doing a good job now, well that is true. Would I be willing to give $5.00 a year for it to be better? You betcha!

I will end there as I can see nothing more constructive could come from this post going back and forth.

Have a great 4th of July weekend! cool

Ahhh fees.......

Why do I pay $65 for a co-angler/spouse to fish 3 times a year in WI. And, they don't do weekend/spouse, so it would be $40 per weekend at $20 a piece if I went that route.

Yet $26 (i Think) for MN to fish 30+ times.

A $5 stamp to improve MN fishing doesn't seem like a big deal when I look at that way.

I really think that the current overall Economy or at least the perception of the Economy is what is upsetting people. Even the most beloved of pastimes cannot weather the storm without some changes.

I see both sides of the issue, but have no problem with it as long as it is voluntary.

At least this way people can put their money where their mouth is.

I just wonder if there will be enough “volunteers” to make it worthwhile………

I bet if there was some sort of incentive for purchasing said stamp (two lines perhaps) that the increase of “volunteers” would skyrocket.

But that is a whole new can of worms.

With as much time, energy, and money that I put into fishing, and the outdoors, I have no problem spending an extra $5, $10, or whatever it might be. Just think about duck hunting. We have to get a small game license, federal stamp and a state stamp. Yes, that adds up quick, but to me, it's worth it because the money collected goes to a great cause. Why would the walleye stamp be any different?

well it does add up with Shiners being at $8.50 a doz and leeches being up at $27 a pound it all adds up, I have no problem paying for special stamps or license fee's but when you figure in the cost of bait and gas, it will definitly rub many people the wrong way, like it was mentioned earlier $5 bucks here and $5 bucks there, it does add up, I need to find someone to buy my bait so I can pay for the stamps.....

I agree with you shane, but I will also have to add that while yes, they do have to budget with what they have, the costs associated with them doing their jobs are going up as well. Think about the CO's doing their jobs. The price of gas alone has increased dramatically in the last few years. If you have $1,000 budgeted for gas, say, every month, and it's been that way for the last 2 years, can you say that you'll be able to do your job as efficient as before when the money strecthed further? I agree that they need to be careful with their spending and have it watched, but with the cost of things, especially gas and wages going up (CO's are union and have mandatory raises every year), I don't think a little bump in what I pay for a license would be that bad. Especailly if it helps pay to keep our natrual resources in standing order and keep poachers from ruining things for the rest of us.

Yep, price of gas is up. It's costing me around $50 everytime out fishing. That's the main reason I ask those I take out to help pay for gas. If they need the money then they should raise the license fee and not hide it behind a stamp. If you are going to do a $5 eye stamp, it better all go to walleye stocking. As far as the gas for them, I make about 5% (Maybe) more than I did two years ago. Gas has gone up by 200%. Tell me how that adds up? I can't go to my boss and say I need more money for gas, why should they? Learn to budget again. Our taxes still go up every year so they do get more.

Any sport you participate in will add up. Think about hunting. If you hunt for pheasents, ducks/geese, and deer in the same year, you have to get your deer license, small game license and 3 different stamps. The stamps alone will set you back $30. Is the ability to go out and fish walleyes, something that we enjoy doing, worth an extra $5 a year, or whatever they set it at? It's less than a dozen shiners............

I totally agree that they need to budget better. At the same time, if they're budgeted two million dolloars a year, and gas now takes up double what it did two years ago, and salaries are up 5%, then, to stay within that budget, something has to give if they decide not to raise prices or add new stamps. What should be given up? what if they had to cut the number of CO's by 25% to stay in budget? Or what if they have to stop stocking walleyes completely to stay in budget? What should we give up for them to stay in budget?

I totally agree that they need to budget better. At the same time, if they're budgeted two million dolloars a year, and gas now takes up double what it did two years ago, and salaries are up 5%, then, to stay within that budget, something has to give if they decide not to raise prices or add new stamps. What should be given up? what if they had to cut the number of CO's by 25% to stay in budget? Or what if they have to stop stocking walleyes completely to stay in budget? What should we give up for them to stay in budget?
\

So if my family is budgeted for 50k a year and gas is the same for me as for them what gives for me? What do I give up? I quit buying some name brand or cut out some of the things I would like to be doing. We don't go to the movies or go out a hole lot because of what sitters and other things cost, not to mention the gas to get there. My feeling is that some of you have a lot to learn about how budgeting works out. You can't spend all your money the day you get it and mooch off others until your next pay day. You have to learn to stretch it the whole two weeks. Maybe it meens no soda and drink more water. Maybe it means generic diapers and not huggies. But something has to give on my end cause no one else is going to help me. If anything they will just take more from me.

5 bucks to me isn't a big deal, so let me say that first. But doesn't all license revenue now go to the General Fund and then appropriated back to the DNR by the legislature? And isn’t that revenue generated greater then the appropriated budget? Please correct me if I’m wrong, because I’ve been known to be, or maybe it has changed, but I swear it used to be that way. If that’s the case, it just seems to me a $5 dollar stamp is kind of silly when there is already enough funds generated through licenses and existing fees to sustain and improve what we already have.

Point taken, and I agree. I agree that some need to budget better. Some of us can and do budget better than others think, and money is tighter than some think. Even with budgeting, the money that comes in doesn't go as far as it used to. Also, When the money does come in, Certain things are bought to make sure it lasts the two weeks, like generic diapers instead of huggies, food, etc., and then if and only if, there's money left over, certain extras are budgeted. And, certain budgets are larger than other budgets, so not everyone can afford to do certain things.

I went golfing for the first time in 5 years this weekend. For 18 holes, half a cart, 2 bottles of Bud, and a half on a pizza it cost me $60!

I think the clubs will be going back into storage once again! It was fun, but not worth the money!

I guess every sport is turning into the rich mans game.

However at 18 bucks a year to fish 10,000 lakes and, IF I FEEL LIKE IT, $5 more to add to an already great stocking program, I just paid for 3 yeasrs of fun in one day for 3 hours of frustration!

We got it pretty good as fishermen in MN! Just think of all the people that come in form other states with jaws hanging open and envy smeared all over their face!

A $5 voluntary walleye stamp is no reason to start and 15 page bi%chfest! Come on! laugh

Quote:
I went golfing for the first time in 5 years this weekend. For 18 holes, half a cart, 2 bottles of Bud, and a half on a pizza it cost me $60!

Not to far in the future, that $18 is going to be $60.00 plus for a residential anglers lic... More so if there is a free showing of open pockets from the MN anglers as some are showing in this thread. It's kind of like a stay cat with our government, you feed it once it will come back and want more grin

Just you wait grin and mark my words. Give an inch, they will be asking for a mile wink

It is the American way wink

No kidding, I just figure $5 for a whole year isn't hardly anything, and if it may mean catching 1 extra fish every time out, or whatever, it would be worth it.

As stated earlier, if your paying $50 a trip in gas, $ for bait per trip, new lures/tackle, etc, I wouldn't let $5 a year get your undies in a bunch.

If you go fishing 25 times in 1 year it is only a 20 cent increase per trip.

People hear the word TAX and blood starts to boil. But you should just chalk it up as a HOBBY based cost increase just like your gas, bait, lures, etc.

And try to enjoy your time on the water.

Quote:
Not to far in the future, that $18 is going to be $60.00 plus for a residential anglers lic...

Don't be so paranoid..... the world is gonna end in 2012 anyways (MAYANS), so I doubt it will come to that.

Just relax and enjoy the time you have left.

No kidding, I just figure $5 for a whole year isn't hardly anything, and if it may mean catching 1 extra fish every time out, or whatever, it would be worth it.

As stated earlier, if your paying $50 a trip in gas, $ for bait per trip, new lures/tackle, etc, I wouldn't let $5 a year get your undies in a bunch.

If you go fishing 25 times in 1 year it is only a 20 cent increase per trip.

People hear the word TAX and blood starts to boil. But you should just chalk it up as a HOBBY based cost increase just like your gas, bait, lures, etc.

And try to enjoy your time on the water.

excellent points. With the amount of time spent walleye fishing and the number of trips walleye fishing, that $5 VOLUNTARY stamp really isn't that much. Plus, there's cranks for walleye fishing that top $5. Plus, right now, it's proposed, not actually here, and it's a Voluntary stamp.

Quote:

Not to far in the future, that $18 is going to be $60.00 plus for a residential anglers lic...

The only way it'll come to that is because of lack of participation in the sport/no more revenue.

The one big thing reading all of these debates on this site that blows my mind is the INSANE PARANOIA I see from A LOT of people. WOW! Go fishing or something! ;D

On one end you give your undying love for your country, and praise it to no end; then on the other end it's complete slander and distrust towards the gov'ment.

Nothing will ever be perfect, and run as smooth as we would all like. Taxes and Fees will ALWAYS go UP! That's the way she rolls! smile