• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

For anyone who is sad and crying about a possible 5 DOLLAR STAMP- This is 5 dollars to better walleye fishing in MN, if you can't afford 5 dollars without whining then you should be underwater basketweaving not fishing. Regardless if it goes into a gill net, gets eaten by an eagle, taken by a poacher... whatever who cares.. its going to be beneficial. Think of how much the normal person with the average boat spends to go out fishing for one day! This post is not to say everyone is rich and wipes with 5 dollar bills, but seriously, its 5 dollars with great intentions for the walleye fisherman..

I understand what you are saying and again, don't have a problem with the $5, but where does it end? This state is the #1 state for asking for more money without showing why they need it. Shouldn't our licenses and taxes already be paying for this? If something like this comes about I just want to know where my money is going. And I don't believe for a minute that the whole $5 would go to the walleye's.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five bucks to stock walleyes in another 8 foot deep duck slough?

BWWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

I'll pass thank you.

Like the others have said, the state can't even come close to managing what they have now.

It isn't the five bucks and my inherently cheap self, as a few seem to think it is. Rather it's a matter of principle.

Go ahead and feed big brother. Your walleye fishing won't change. I happen to think it's pretty good now, though you may end up with a newly paved Bike trail that about two people a year use.

Some of you guys are missing the point. It's not about the money. I'd pay several hundred dollars for a license if I had to. It's about mishandling the money that they already have. It's about another Mickey Mouse state program. It's about trusting the powers that be to do the right thing. Don't you remember the bass license plate fiasco?

Let's get a few things straight here. The $5 walleye stamp was an idea of Senator Satveer Chaudhary who is the Chairman of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee and not the DNR. He also came up with the idea of the consevation license. From what I understand the DNR was concerned that the reduced price of the conservation license would hurt their budget. Instead of a license fee increase he came up with the walleye stamp to keep their budget the same.

The language from the bill reads:

Subd. 6. Walleye stamp. (a) Revenue from walleye stamps must be credited to the walleye stamp account. Money in the account must be used only for stocking walleye in waters of the state and related activities. Money in the account may not be used for costs unless they are directly related to specific body of water under paragraph (a), or for costs associated with supplies and equipment to implement walleye stocking activities under paragraph (a).

So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies. Plus there is a citizen oversite subcommittee that will make sure the money will be spend in accordance to the law.

So say the DNR has all this walleye stamp money. What are they going to do with it? The DNR has said many times that they can only grow about 120,000 lbs of walleye fingerlings per year on a good year with the ponds they have. Private aquaculturists can only grow so many lbs also, plus they have other customers to deal with. Then there is the conflict of using natural ponds to raise ducks or fish. The DNR would have to buy a lot of property to build enough drainable ponds on to raise a significant amount, say 40,000 lbs of fish. Any one have a clue how expensive that would be to buy just a few hundered acres and build ponds? Not to mention the actual work to intensively raise walleye to get maximun harvest.

Another thing is to realize is that walleye stocking isn't a cureall. Sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. For example the DNR stocks the heck out of the lakes in the Twin Cities area and when is the last time any of you had good or even fair walleye fishing there.

IMO, all 2 cents worth, there are plenty of walleye available to be stocked. The DNR just needs to reprioritize where they go.

Some of you guys are missing the point. It's not about the money. I'd pay several hundred dollars for a license if I had to. It's about mishandling the money that they already have. It's about another Mickey Mouse state program. It's about trusting the powers that be to do the right thing. Don't you remember the bass license plate fiasco?

Exactly!!!! This state has a tendency to waste $$$ and of course we keep giving them more to waste. We need to say no more. We are 11th and steadily climbing up the ladder to the top, a few years back we were 14th. Not something to brag about in my book.

How about we charge the out of staters more since every state around us bleeds us for out of state license?? I'm pretty sure they can make up some additional dollars for whatever they want to stock, pave and waste that way!

I like Black_bay he did his homework and shut some of you smarties down.. The moral of this entire story is yes, the state sometimes toys with money, but if you are a walleye fisherman, not just a half [PoorWordUsage] oops i caught a walleye, then you should support this stamp without questioning.. once again its 5 dollars and if they spend half of it on walleyes and half of it on toilet paper for the capital, i am happy i contributed to my favorite fish..

but if you are a walleye fisherman, not just a half [PoorWordUsage] oops i caught a walleye, then you should support this stamp without questioning.. once again its 5 dollars and if they spend half of it on walleyes and half of it on toilet paper for the capital, i am happy i contributed to my favorite fish..

Keep drinking the Koolaid kid. Come back after you've been paying taxes and watching how the Peoples Republic Govt of MN works after 20 years... .

There's probably no less than a thousand different ways they could improve walleye fishing in this state working with what they've already got.

May I ask, where has the walleye fishing in this state deteriated so badly for the need for more money? Name me another state that is even remotely close to what we have here now.

There's nothing that even comes close.

All though Black’s post was very informative, I would say he raised good questions about how effective this program would be in an end result.

It is all cool by me to have the stamp as an option for anglers and stamp collectors to purchase, but like said before this could be trial run for the real thing. If everyone goes out and buys a walleye stamp, you can bet your bottom dollar you will have to purchase a walleye stamp in the next couple years to legally catch a walleye.

I just think it is an open avenue to a $50-$100 MN resident angler license. I know some would pay this much to fish (that is the scary part about it), but many would not or they would just fish with out a license. How would this help the situation?

$5.00 is only $5.00, but the following year, $10.00, the next $20.00 three years after this and another $40.00.

Hey, its just an extra $40.00 bucks grin.

"Bunny, do really want to fish this year?" grin

I know I am exaggerating a little bit.

Minnesota DNR has pushed the next generation away from hunting with all the stamps and laws. Look at deer hunting, for years you had to aply for doe tags so the youths could not take a doe. Now after they stoped hunting they cant give enought doe tags away. And why are they filling all the lakes with Muskies?? For WHAT!!! They eay the walleyes.

All though Black’s post was very informative, I would say he raised good questions about how effective this program would be in an end result.

It is all cool by me to have the stamp as an option for anglers and stamp collectors to purchase, but like said before this could be trial run for the real thing. If everyone goes out and buys a walleye stamp, you can bet your bottom dollar you will have to purchase a walleye stamp in the next couple years to legally catch a walleye.

I just think it is an open avenue to a $50-$100 MN resident angler license. I know some would pay this much to fish (that is the scary part about it), but many would not or they would just fish with out a license. How would this help the situation?

$5.00 is only $5.00, but the following year, $10.00, the next $20.00 three years after this and another $40.00.

Hey, its just an extra $40.00 bucks grin.

"Bunny, do really want to fish this year?" grin

I know I am exaggerating a little bit.

Right on Josh, this is what, I believe, everyone is getting to. It is only $5. But everytime they add $5 here or there, it keeps adding up. I just wanna know where the current money goes and what they would do with this.

Oh I agree this is just a trial run for a mandatory stamp, but not because everyone is buying them. I predict few people will buy them and therefore Senator Chaudhaury will propose a bill to make it mandatory.

Propose a stamp to maky you pay for something they already do....

Then take the equivilant $$$$ away from the dnr budget to use it for some other social(ist) project.

We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book.

To them the rest of us will always be sheep.

Did he really say "support this program without question"? Ah, become the useful one-who-thinks-I-am-silly Stalin was talking. Sorry kid I don't mean to destroy your ideals but there is no Santa, the tooth fairy isn't real and never ever trust the government to do the right thing. They are forced to appease too many different factions to get anything right.

How about a Guiding Stamp? Seems to me that it is too easy to become a guide and take advantage of a resource that tax dollars are forced to replenish. When you get a chance, read about what it takes to be a guide in Florida. Seems to me that they have a better handle on the resource.

As for a Walleye Stamp, seems kinda silly. Maybe budget a little better.

Propose a stamp to maky you pay for something they already do....

Then take the equivilant $$$$ away from the dnr budget to use it for some other social(ist) project.

We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book.

To them the rest of us will always be sheep.

thats what I was trying to say earlier glad some else see's what will happen

I see people saying I'll pay it. Well ofcourse we'll pay it if we have to. The thing is we shouldnt have to and we must stand against it in order to prevent a shell game on us

Neighbor guy was close with the quote

"We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book."

In the politicians eyes it is our pocket book that they are thinking with!!!

I have no problems with the "Optional Stamp" as long as it stays that way, and I might even buy one, but we are being taxed way too much as it is IMO.

When are our legislators going to realize that without money in our pockets there will be no need to stock the lakes because we will have no money to buy gas or bait and there will be no fishermen on the lakes anyway.

A trial period sounds a lot like short term tax put on until the Item is paid for, Like say the Metrodome and isnt that tax still in effect?

I know trial is different than a short term tax but it still is a back door

Hey "old guy/s" you should just be used to paying taxes and paying for a billion different things... I am 23 by the way and just trying to lay down a valid point... the point being who gives. If you like walleyes buy it, if you dont and wanna talk about every possible tax and complain about a thousand things, then do it and dont buy the stamp I dont care honestly.. in todays outdoor news there is a nice piece telling about minnesotas walleye stocking and figures golare... dont sit here acting like i am 5 with the santa clause and tooth fairy [PoorWordUsage] i dont buy it. Anyone can do whatever they want to do.. i'll buy the stamp. I'll buy two.. and let the gov't do what they want, at least I feel good about myself..

Hey "old guy/s" you should just be used to paying taxes and paying for a billion different things... I am 23 by the way and just trying to lay down a valid point... the point being who gives. If you like walleyes buy it, if you dont and wanna talk about every possible tax and complain about a thousand things, then do it and dont buy the stamp I dont care honestly.. in todays outdoor news there is a nice piece telling about minnesotas walleye stocking and figures golare... dont sit here acting like i am 5 with the santa clause and tooth fairy [PoorWordUsage] i dont buy it. Anyone can do whatever they want to do.. i'll buy the stamp. I'll buy two.. and let the gov't do what they want, at least I feel good about myself..

I'm not bashing you at all, I think a lot of us had those thoughts once upon a time. How long have you been out of school? What do you do for a living? When you have a home and family and you look at your check and 40% is gone before you see it. Then you have to pay $700/month for insurance, you mortgage, car payments, daycare, utilities, etc. it's about 80%. Now add food, diapers and whatever else. You have a limited amount to spend. mad Now ask me again to buy a walley stamp?? crazy Ask me to buy something that is for a fish that is already concidered a game fish?? sick Nope, learn to budget like myself and everyone else in the human race has to. I've said it before. When we adopted a child my cost went up a lot. If I went to my boss and asked her for a an extra $10/check to cover diapers, what do you think the response would be? crazy We had to learn to budet and maybe, heaven forbid, do without some of the things we want. Cut down fishing, no plasma TV's, don't go out as much, etc. IT'S THE SAME THING!!!!! laughcoolwhistle

Oh yea, I feel great about myself. grin

"So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies." Laws can be changed, case in point is the money from the State Lottery. when approved the money made was to go to the DNR, now more goes to fund education than to the DNR. This will quickly be siphoned to other pet projects.