• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

I think someone's yankin your chain on a walleye stamp. The main reason, IMO, for the state stocking is to generate revanue through tourism. You put a stamp on walleyes that could backfire,People may deside to go to another state. Now if all states did this that would be fair. The talk of a stamp may be another way of saying tax(user fee). A stamp would make it easier realocate the funds they have now to some other venture.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A volunteer program will turn into a mandatory program in a very short time. The legislature just can't help themselves. A new fee or tax is like crack to them. And the chance to impose further regulation to something is what they live for.

As far as a state wide slot, I'm a little slow. Could someone explain the scientific advantage to the different walleye fisheries in the state created by having a one size fits all slot?

As far as a state wide slot, I'm a little slow. Could someone explain the scientific advantage to the different walleye fisheries in the state created by having a one size fits all slot?

I'm also waiting to hear this.

A volunteer program will turn into a mandatory program in a very short time. The legislature just can't help themselves. A new fee or tax is like crack to them. And the chance to impose further regulation to something is what they live for.

Well said.

Just raise the price of the licenses instead of playing games. If the DNR needs more money they should justify why they need it and I'll be happy to pay more to help the fishery. They wanted to raise deer lic. prices last year and the only reason they gave as to why was that they hadden't increased the price in years. Show me what you'll do with the $$ or why you need it first.

Originally Posted By: gunflint

Well said.

Just raise the price of the licenses instead of playing games. If the DNR needs more money they should justify why they need it and I'll be happy to pay more to help the fishery. They wanted to raise deer lic. prices last year and the only reason they gave as to why was that they hadden't increased the price in years. Show me what you'll do with the $$ or why you need it first.

Come on now, that would make sense. crazy How dare you bring up the fact you wanna know what your money is spent on. It's the same with everything gov't, we need more money cause we don't budget what we already have and we'll be back at the next session asking you for more. mad

Originally Posted By: gunflint

I'm also waiting to hear this.

Scientifically there is no advantage. Statistically there is. While a 17-26 slot may not be the ideal regulation for all lakes, it is probably better than the current regulations on a good number of them. It would simply cost too much to study each lake and determine what is best for them.

Besides I can tell you what the best regulation (with regards to the fish population at least) is for every lake across the state: "no fishing". I don't think many anglers would go for that regulation though.

For anyone who is sad and crying about a possible 5 DOLLAR STAMP- This is 5 dollars to better walleye fishing in MN, if you can't afford 5 dollars without whining then you should be underwater basketweaving not fishing. Regardless if it goes into a gill net, gets eaten by an eagle, taken by a poacher... whatever who cares.. its going to be beneficial. Think of how much the normal person with the average boat spends to go out fishing for one day! This post is not to say everyone is rich and wipes with 5 dollar bills, but seriously, its 5 dollars with great intentions for the walleye fisherman..

There is no harm with a voluntary donation to help increase the quality of our local fisheries. It's a win win people who want to contribute more can and the rest can still fish with out paying 5 bucks more.

it is a good thing if every penny that is intended to go to walleye stocking goes to walleye stocking and not something else like muskie stocking or just into the governments pockets....

u guys talkin like u have to pay 5 bucks for everytime u fish for walleyes.. its just 5 bucks for one year.. thats 365 days... about one cent a day........ cheaper than skoals, beers, strippers, whatever u guys spendin on for fun.

If you don't agree with the $5 OPTIONAL stocking fee, then don't pay it. Let the rest of us pick up the tab. I will gladly pay the $5 to stock more walleyes in more lakes. Maybe I will buy two....

Whygive that 5 bucks to the governent so they can take money away from the program thats already there and move that money someplace else just because their getting that extra 5 bucks a year from each fisherman. This ploy has been used so many times its rediculous.

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF PAYING THIS!!!!!!

I already pay a $10 trout stamp. Next year I will be paying a $5 "2 line fee" that already ticks me off mad.

This state already has the most messed up confusing [PoorWordUsage] regulations in the country, now this. What is the saying about their rear end, both hands, and a flashlight?

Like I said, I am not for it, I wont pay it, the lake I fish walleyes in most is not stocked (LOW) so I see no reason to pay extra so someone else can catch a walleye where no walleye should swim. If they dont naturaly produce in the lake, then why force them to be there.

"only 5 bucks" here and five bucks there adds up. If you sit down and add up all of the lic. fees you pay in a year you will be suprised. Each year it's a fishing lic. / small game combo, pheasant stamp, 2 duck stamps, a trout stamp, an darkhouse lic, boat lic., sled lic, deer lic., for me. It's getting out of hand. I got a $100 snowmobile last year and the lic fee almost cost more than the stupid sled. Take a look one time at what someone pays for the same lic. in other states and take a look at what the nonresidents pay in those states. MN is too easy on the out of staters and too hard on its residents. All of these fees keep new people from getting into fishing or hunting. The walleye stamp is optional next year and I won't be getting one. I will bet you real money that I'll be paying it without the option within 5 years.

I am in college, have roughly 55,000 dollars in loans, 1,500 on my cabelas card which beleive me its been much much higher, and work two jobs that pay me squat to what most of u are making... 8 an hour and 10 an hour, add rent, bills, and beer and It's hard to understand how i am even alive... yet if that stamp was 40 dollars, i would pay it. I guess it just comes down to what you enjoy. I enjoy walleyes, ducks, and geese.. and i'll pay whatever to know that I have done my part. You can sit here and explain every excuse you want to as to why you dont want to pay it but seriously you guys sound like a buncha cheap A$$es. You sure as [PoorWordUsage] shouldn't be affording internet and a computer if you cant hack 5 dollars for a year. My first thought after reading about this in my bathroom (outdoor news $36.00 a year) was this is not even a fee for me or something I even have to think about paying.. Ya everything adds up, buy one less gallon of milk a year.....

If I do not have to pay it, I will not. If I have to pay it, I will. I guess that is the “cheap” Minnesotan in me!

wink

This coming from a guy who has not purposely targeted walleyes in the last two years. Ice time crappies and perch all the way, summer time cats are the only thing I target as of late. I got chased off of ML twice last fall due to issues when going out for walleye’s.

Now, I will add in the last 2 years I have caught my far share of walleye not fishing for them. I personally saw the biggest walleye I have ever seen hauled in while catt’in last summer.

Is the state in dire needs of walleye production, I do not know. Now a $5.00 flathead preservation fee, I would pay grin

Why stop at a gallon of milk lets get a musky stamp then cat stamp and so on. I can maybe forgo that insulin shot ounce in awhile. May sound like cheapa$$es to you. I prefer not letting the government run over me so I can use a natural resources that was here long before me or the government

".....Ya everything adds up, buy one less gallon of milk a year..... "

I agree with mrwalleye_13....if this statement doesn't put every post that isn't for the $5 in perspective then some of you really need to check your priorities...SORRY!!, but I'm up to my neck in debt (also, not to unlike mrwalleye) and if I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my budget of internet, cable, GAS, and fast food I can find room for $5!!! If I can't afford to pay an extra $5 to fish our state fish then there is something wrong....BTW, I make it out on a boat to fish about once a year which kind of limits my ability to catch walleye since I don't have a boat and I would be willing to pay this stamp fee in a second if it meant increasing the efforts to help increase other peoples chance to see an opportunity at catching these awesome fish, if you guys can't understand that then i don't know why I'm even wasting my time!!

****I don't mean to attack anyone whose opposed to the extra fee, I'm just explaining my stance and trying to add another perspective........********

"It all adds up."

I hope people remember that phrase at the election booth this fall when they get to the question about the dedicated funding amendment on the ballot.

Vote NO.

It all adds up......

My question is, are walleyes that endangered they need a $5.00 stamp? If this stamp thing is true anyways.

Take a $5.00 bill and burn it or give it to a situation that does not guarantee walleyes for everyone. By what I have seen, walleyes are doing quit well. I would not throw them on the “endangered” species list by any means. The people who put their time in and learn the fish, get what they want. Others do not catch them and cry they are on the decline.

To me if became mandatory, it would be like making me have to buy a pheasant stamp, when I only want to hunt grouse.

Do not get me wrong, I am for helping our fishing environment and such (with extra fee’s), but I do not want to have to pay anything extra to ensure walleyes are jumping in the boat like carp for those who want it.

I know $5.00 does not buy you much now-a-days, but it still can get you 15-20 miles to your fishing destination. I seem to watch this more than I used to in the past.

I think its a great idea. One way i look at it is some people really like to collect the different game stamps, my dad use to keep all of his even if he didnt hunt/fish for them he like to buy them and think his money is going to a great cause keeping our lakes stocked and what not. I think some people just like to complain about paying more money for a sport that isnt cheap in the first place. If you dont want to buy it dont, right now you arent being forced to, the way i look at it is the same way i look at my deer permit when i dont get a deer, its like donating money to a great cause.