• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reply to legal or ethical? question

Hermy Wormy

( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you.)

This is my personal opinion only...

First of all the kids should have been watching their bobbers.

Second, if the kids don't want to watch their bobbers they should pull their lines in.

"Angling with an unattended line, a setline, or a trotline is unlawful." (see pg. 8 of the fishing regulations)

I know kids are just that... kids. But if they are going to be fishing, which is a privilege, they should know the rules and regulations. We need to teach our kids the importance of conservation so that our kids, grandkids, and generations to come will have the same great expirience we did.

Since this is a new post.. I want to keep everything on the up and up. It is an inevitable fact about fishing that you will inadvertently kill some fish while trying to catch and release. If it has never happened to you you obviously haven't been fishing much. What does the laws state about an accidental death of a fish if it is not within the slot. If you release it and it doesnt swim away what could a game warden do? Would this be wantan waste?

(P.S. I would like to state that I personally did not break the law, lines were always attended but sometimes it only takes a few seconds to differ between a deep hookset.)

So much for staying anonymous. I left your name out on purpose.

However, I do agree with you on the fact that yes, fish DO get deep hooked and probably won't make it. That being said, my post was directed more toward the education of our kids, not bashing you.

Personally I think you should be able to keep a fish in the slot that comes back up floating. But then how do they know that's what happened to the fish? It would be very hard to regulate.

As for the kids, they should be near their rod all the time. I see people fishing all the time that I swear have their kids with for that extra limit.

I agree and, disagree here.

Children should be taught to monitor there lines, or real them in and set them aside tell they are again interested in actively fishing.

As for deep hooking fish, there are options to limit this too.

Use barb-less hooks with younger children. This limits deep hooking and also ads a layer of safty for them.

Use Circle hooks rigged barb-less. They are great choices for often distracted young fisherman. The fish often hook themselves, and will stay hooked if they keep the preasure on the fish while reeling in. Again, a safer hook option overall.

I have seen the "Attended Line" law abused by parents, and adults at times. One must remember there are laws concerning attended lines and how often they must be checked and monitored.

Another key thing to remember is very young children have a very short attention span for fishing at first. It is wise to have other activities at the ready so they are not forced to attend to a line they just have lost interest in totally. Don't force the kids to fish, and yell at them for not doing what the adults do.

Try to make the fishing experience and learning experience a gradual enjoyable one, so they learn to love it, and not learn to hate it.

What about allowing the kids to have a little fun. I'm not talking about having the kids in the boat just to fish with the extra line but kids will be kids and they have a notoriously short attention span. A real fast way to turn a kid off to fishing is to make it too serious and nothing more than a drill about rules. Yes, teach them as you go, encourage them to take an active role in managing their line but even now I can get restless watching a bobber float on the water for what might seem like or actually be hours on end. They won't be content to watch their lines 100% of the time. They'll get occupied with other things but that's where we parents can come in. We can hellp them by keeping an extra eye out for their equipment and let them know that, "Hey! You have a fish on!" Now it's time for them to taste the fun.

Bob

What about allowing the kids to have a little fun. I'm not talking about having the kids in the boat just to fish with the extra line but kids will be kids and they have a notoriously short attention span. A real fast way to turn a kid off to fishing is to make it too serious and nothing more than a drill about rules. Yes, teach them as you go, encourage them to take an active role in managing their line but even now I can get restless watching a bobber float on the water for what might seem like or actually be hours on end. They won't be content to watch their lines 100% of the time. They'll get occupied with other things but that's where we parents can come in. We can hellp them by keeping an extra eye out for their equipment and let them know that, "Hey! You have a fish on!" Now it's time for them to taste the fun.

Bob

Bob,

I agree 100%! If the kids aren't having fun, you'll potentially lose a future fisherman/woman.