Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
night bite

Which smoker

13 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of getting a smoker and just wondering what you guys recommend. I dont need a very big one. Also dont know if I should go charcoal,propane,or electric. Any info would be great. Thanks

weber smokey mountain, around 200 bucks. holds temp for

a long time.

randy aka bbqhead

I'll second the Weber Smokey Mountain. Like bbqhead said, great temperature control. I have done 18 hour slow cooked pulled pork at 225 and cooked turkeys at 350 and many things in between.

I'll 3rd the smokey mountain!

I was thinking they were about $100 at Wal Mart though?

Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker is what I have. It came from Wall-Fart and was around $140.00..

The thing has not failed me yet.

9mOoyBt5AgbJ4qlthIWWFpk7uLySyvUl0300.jpg

I would go with propane hand downs. You can control the heat for long periods of time, with minimal commitment. Charcoal can go out or burn quick. The next thing you know, your stuff has sat for an hour cold and the end result can suffer.

It has a great little burning pot for what ever wood chips you would like. I like to use my own wood chips. I never liked the idea of the pressed wafer elec. style smoker. All though the wafer is automatically dropped in for you, they are not cheap.

Good luck

That's the one!

I love mine. I don't really care to cook steaks on it though.

Like shackbash wrote...it's so easy to control the temp. You can't go wrong with this unit!

Thats weird...the company must have taken a hiatus this last fall because was looking for one for my dad (I own one too). Could not find any hint of one for sale anywhere. The closest one and probably made by them was the store brand version of the big store in Rogers. Ended up with that one, and they are identical, except for semi-stainless.

I like mine, but had to drop the chip box lower to the burner, couldn't maintain low temps and get a good smoke at the same time. I do like the set and forget temps though.

Makes a heckuva good batch of spareribs!

I got mine from Wally Worlds HSOforum. The same one as Shacks.

I have the one Shack has and a Brinkman charcoal and they both have good and bad points but the easiest is the gas and the best flavor is charcoal. I always use my charcoal if I can keep a eye on it and I am looking for both charcoal and a smoke ( hickory, apple )mix like when I make venison jerky.When I make sausage and I need the constant temps for a couple of hours that is when the gas is great.

I just picked up a Traeger pellet grill/smoker. Have only been able to use it once but think it is going to work really well. The ease of using the pellets and ease of setting the temp is really nice.

Traeger Pellet Grill only way to go. Can do anything from smoke to high-temp grilling. Easy to use and no flare ups. Beef, poultry, fish and even frozen pizzas all turn out excellent. Upgrade to digital thermostat is worth it if you want to get lower temps for smoking than the three position switch will let you do. Not the cheapest grill out there but money well spent, use mine all year almost daily.