• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Overdrive?

How many of you tow your boat with the overdrive off in your truck? My dad turns it off everytime we tow the boat and get very bad mileage. Do we have to have this off when we tow the boat or not? I just dont see why it has to be off, but since it is my dads truck i obey his rules. But do you really need overdrive off?

It all depends on what you are pulling, and where. If you are pulling in OD and you can tell the truck is working and you have to step into the gas alot, or if it is shifting alot on small inclines, then shut OD off. Otherwise leave it on. I tow my boat with OD on unless I am towing in hilly areas, I tow my enclosed trailer with OD off.

I pretty much tow with O/D off, unless it is my 4'x6' utility trailer, with a small load on. I have been told by a couple of trans tech’s (on my Ford) it was cheaper to pay the extra gas, than repair or replace the trans. Now, I was told this back when gas was at or under $2.00 a gal crazy. Since the price of gas has risen, I am trying to weigh which is cheaper.

I think if you abide by what 4.W.E. said, you will get by OK. I find my self doing this more on straight a ways and Hwy’s when the cruise is on now.

If you are pulling the boat you are speaking of in the other thread, and using virtually any full size truck out there, I seriously doubt you need to drop it down a gear. If your tranny has a tow/haul mode use it. If not, don't worry unless you are jumping gears up and down all the time. 1500lbs isn't any big deal to a full size truck.

my two pennies worth.

I've pulled my 29ft 5thwhl- 16ft boat combo many times in od with no problems yet. As long as it does'nt downshift alot or lug down I think you're fine in od. Hilly country just ease into the throttle on way down the hill, get a little more speed and then ease off on the crest of next hill. That will stop alot of downshifting from occuring.

Quote:
I pretty much tow with O/D off, unless it is my 4'x6' utility trailer, with a small load on. I have been told by a couple of trans tech’s (on my Ford) it was cheaper to pay the extra gas, than repair or replace the trans. Now, I was told this back when gas was at or under $2.00 a gal crazy. Since the price of gas has risen, I am trying to weigh which is cheaper.

The guy who rebuilt the tranny on my 2000 Ranger told me the same thing. If you are towing, OD off. Cost me $1700 for a rebuild and somehow I am thinking that would pay for the extra 1 to 3 mpg I would get with the OD on and then some. I turn it off whenever there is a good load on the truck.