• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat ladder/swim platform

weld1

Has anyone installed a ladder/swim platform on a alum boat? we have a alumacraft trophy 180 and i was thinking of installing one...if i can find one at a reasonable price, i was wondering how hard it is to do?? thanks for any help/ideas

It's not too difficult.. make sure you know where you're drilling into and what's behind it and be sure to use silicone to seal the holes - getting it level and marking the holes is probably the most difficult part.

marine_man

Thanks Marine Man im sure its not too hard but the problem is i have no access to the back side, does a person just use stainless lag bolts? would that hurt anything mounting directly into the transom? its behind the rear livewell and theres a enclosed area about 6" thick between the transom and live well that i beleive is filled with foam as theres 3 black plastic plugs on each side in the splash trough that are not easly removed.... any ideas anybody?? thanks!

Stainless lag bolts will work in a pinch, but you need to make sure that they're anchoring into something solid other than foam.

If you mount it on the transom - or near the motor plate where there definitely is reinforced plywood you could end up with motor turning problems.

marine_man

Have you considered the style that "hooks" to your hull side ?

24062_M1.jpg

They are not as sturdy as a fixed style but will save from drilling holes and other installation issues.

I was looking at those also, i talked to alumacraft and they had no problems with the other type and using stainless lags as the whole transom is 2 layers of metal with marine grade plywood inbetween, just have to make sure theres no wire harness or anything going through there...thanks for all the help guys!!