• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Record catch on White Bear Lake Sunday 6.22

polarsusd81

So I was out with a buddy (Troy McLure) on White Bear Lake yesterday fishing for skies and eventually switching to bass. We had a couple fish follow up to the boat and Rob missed one on a figure 8. We switched it up to bass to take a little break and the big one hit. I was tossing a Strike King Red Eye Shad lipless crank over some weeds in about 4 feet of water. I was using my 6'-6" Diawa Heartland-X rod, my favorite of course mated up with a Shimano Curado 200B spooled with 30lb Spiderwire. When the fish hit, she immediately dove into the weeds and the fight was on. After a few minutes playing tug of war, she finally gave up and came to the boat covered in weeds. After I cleared all the weeds from the fish, I was absolutely blown away by the size of the fish. Check out the photo below.

2606105870_fd03b16dbd.jpg

She weighed in at a little under an ounce and stretched the tape to about an inch.

She was released to be caught another day. It was hard to decide though, between the skin mount, a quick gulp, or the release, but I always told myself a record fish would be released no matter what. After a short revival, she swam away, giving me that familar shower as she kicked her tail off into the deep.

I dont think It would be wise to keep it I doesnt look like it was caught by the mouth crygrin

That was one of the biggest factors for the release. I knew I would catch flack for not hooking it in the mouth, kinda like the guys who caught Dottie in Dixon Lake Cali. Foul hooked can't qualify for a record, so I was alright with the release.

What disgusts me the most is that you guys go and get on a good fish like this, and rather than enjoy this lake and what it can produce like I do, you come on these boards and tell the whole world!!! Heck, lets make it even better you even show the lure! I can even get the gps coordiants from that one ripple in the water behind you. Don't you guys realize that now everyone is gonna flock here, as if this lake doesn't get enough pressure. Now you have done it. I guess I will have to wait another 5 years to have a chance at a treasure like that. Thanks buddy, thanks alot.

If I had a nickel for everytime I've seen that picture! It's been e-mailed to me at least 20 times in the last few years, same fish different story - everything from LOW to Mille Lacs to Bennett Lake in Roseville. FOR THE RECORD: this fish was actually caught in a remote mountain lake in Norway by my friend John Johnson in 1986.