• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to use???

evinrude19

what would you use when your fishing in the tall reeds things i forgot what there called but i think they are reeds that come about like a couple feet out of the water. i tend to use a Texas rigged senko with the weight but i haven't had much success with it and i was just wondering what everyone else uses.

thanks

zach

That should work. I always used a texas rigged lizard, creature bait, tube bait, jig/trailler or sometimes a weightless senko. However, I usually found my best bullrush edge patterns developed in mid July or later on most lakes I fished in Central MN.

Hope it helps, jjz

Depending on how thick they are you might be able to get a swimming jig, spinnerbait or other lures threw them. I agree I also like to texas rig when fishing reeds. Sometimes ill use a bigger weight just to cover some water and get a reaction strike.

I fish a jig or a weedless spoon. I do not fish a texas rig all that often for a very specific reason (based on my experiences). Bass seem to be willing to gut a jig or a spoon allowing for hookups further back in the mouth. Texas rigs have a nasty habit of sliding forward and exposing the hook point through the soft part of a bass's mouth. This puts you in jeapordy of hanging the fish on a bullrush or reed and 9 times out of 10 allowing the fish to unhook itself.

and the other question i have is do you make long casts with a texas riged lure or do you pitch them around you? cause it seems like when i do make a longer cast i seem to get more fish cause its farther away from the boat

thanks

zach

Hiya -

Once rushes get more than a foot or so high they get tough to fish through when they're thick, unless you're poking around at the edges. If I'm right in them I'm with Ray - jigs or weedless spoons like a Jawbreaker, although spinnerbaits and buzzbaits work at times too, as do swimming jigs. Texas-rigged baits get to be a pain because they get pulled down on the hook going through the rushes, even if you peg the sinker. If I do T-rig, it's almost always with a Northland Jungle-Lock jig rather than a hook and slip sinker.

Most of my casts in rushes are pretty short, especially if they're thick. The farther you cast, the more likely your line is draped over the stalks and your bait ends up being out of the water more than it's in the water. I bet most of my casts in rushes are 30-40 feet. For soft plastics, I'm almost always pitching to thicker clumps or pockets. When I fish rushes I usually have two rods up on the deck with me - a spoon or jig rod to fancast with, and a soft plastic I pick up and pitch at specific targets.

A couple other thoughts on fishing rushes:

- if you can, fish either with the wind or against the wind. It lines up the stalks so you can avoid running the line over them. Fish rushes in a cross-wind is an exercise in frustration most of the time.

- make your casts as low trajectory as you can. My casts are sort of this underhanded roll cast that all my fishing partners make fun of, but it's accurate as heck out to 40 feet, and keeps the line from draping over the stalks.

I love fishing rushes...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I love fishing rushes as well. I've had my most success pitching a black/blue jig n pig. Sometimes I try to pitch the bait deep into the thick of it and shake the jig until it falls down to the bottom. I would suggest using some pretty heavy line. I typically use 50lbs Power Pro. That stuff will cut a reed in half.

Carl

of course, something to think about is not depleting the rush bed, which can be very bad longterm. I've seen entire beds get ripped out by getting hammered by musky fishermen before. Just something to have in the back of your mind smile

I guess it all depends on how thick they are but I can personally say that all of my best bass in the 20 up to the 22.25 inch mark have come out of areas with thick reeds. I try to flip a 7 inch t-rigged worm with a 1/16 oz bullet sinker right up just barely into or next to the reeds and let it sit for a couple seconds. Usually you'll see the line twitch, then crank down and eliminate slack. Last year alone I boated 5 fish in the 20 inch class by flippin reeds.

I'm using a technique that works great for me in a shallow water situation where there is a weed bottom and or taller weeds such as reeds, pads, etc.....I simply rig a short 6 to 18 inch drop shot with a 1/16 or 1/8th ounce weight on the bottom.....It limits hangups and really only keeps your bait 6 inches or so off the bottom due to the line angle.....Best of all it catches bass, both small and largemouths..... Whadda Ya think?.......JPS

Cast a weedless berkley Blade dancer up thrue it. Start your retrieve running on top of the water and once you it the oter edge of the weed line, let er drop a few seconds. nine time out of ten they will whack it then. its also an awsome tactic for norther pike. its pretty cool to watch em hit in the middle of the thick stuff!!!

Great tip about the dropshotting! It's something that a lot of bass anglers have yet to try but once they do they see the versatility in a HUGE variety of situations. Thick cover is a great one for this. The Minnetonka guys know this from doing it in milfoil (and if they don't they should!).