• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a 4 wheeler in the next couple of weeks

MattNy

i'm looking at buying a 4 wheeler. i've narrowed it down to either a grizzly 700, a king quad 750, or a sportsman 800. i have a place by mille lacs so i'd be using it on the soo line, for hunting and ice fishing, and cabin chores. i'd like to here some opinions about each one before i pull the trigger.

Griz and KQ are about as close to the same machine as it comes. The Griz has PS and a steeper price tag. The Sportsman will have the best ride and the best tires stock. These 3 machines are so close, it would have to come down to personal preference, price, or dealership.

Price- KQ lowest, then Popo, then the Griz being the highest.

I have seen '08 SP 800's for 6749 plus lic, tax, etc. I'm sure the KQ is down closer to 6399.

You could also look at the '08 BF750. They are at 6449 right now, and will take all 3 of those other machines out to dinner every time you ride. grin

IMO, for hunting and fishing, the sportsman will work the best.

I'd try to ride all three if you can. As stated the Grizz and the Kingquad are very similar. I've heard that the Grizz with the power steering is quite the ride. These two are also about 100lbs lighter than the portly popo.

I agree with roofer - I have a KQ 700 - its an almost perfect machine, but the stock tires are aweful.

I test drove the Grizz a little bit, the main reason I didn't like it, was being a short female, the handle bars and seat where unconfortable.

I haven't driven a polais for years and never have owned one

I've had 2 KQ's and have been very happy with both.

Although I haven't had either one, I did have a Suzuki Vinson. Great machine. One thing to watch with the Suzuki's is the steering is very light. This is where the Grizz has the advantage with the EPS.

I just got back from a big week long ride in the Black Hills where all machines were represented and several of them. All of the machines you mentioned have some great capabilities.

The most popular in the group were Grizzly 700's and the Sportsmans, all were mostly reliable on the trail. Can-Am's were the troubles machines all weekend on the mechanical side.

2 Sportsmans didn't fare so well, The first was an 08 Sportsman 800 driven by a gentleman from Idaho, this machine is 3 weeks old. About an 1 1/2 into the first day he decided to hit the small berms a little aggresively and caught a corner putting his machines front right side into a pretty large tree. This collision sent pieces over 50 feet away and ripped the front right a-arm off. About 45 minutes time and the work of a few assistants this machine was rideable off of the trail to get back to the cabin. This machine was ridden the rest of the week without any problems, most importantly there was no injuries. The other sportsman has been abused since it's arrival in 2005 and took a jump and a bolt on the front of the rear a-arm snapped so the a-arm was only have attached. We took this machine and attached the front of the rear a-arm to a hose clamp an an allen wrench, 2-vise grips and a good wrap of electrical tape and this machine was driven about 30 trail miles back to the trailer on the last day.

Get out there and test ride them, I would suggest waiting until august or later as the 09's will be getting announced end of july. 08's will get cheaper and 09's will have new features.

I would personally opt for a new sportsman as it is a compfortable capable machine, I have been mostly happy with the ones I have owned. I would have to say that I had a real short time on the grizz this weekend and that power-steering felt nice, I would like to look more into it , although I think there is a good chance to see it in the popo lineup for 2009 winkgrin If that happens our 2 08-800's are gone as we would love to have the Power-steering with tracks.

Let us know what you decide. Look for a good dealer the price is nice but the service and parts department is the most important. I have been happy with my dealer, Jim's in Holdingford, Scott is great to work with, pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the report Josh. Glad to see no one was hurt. It goes to show that the machines these days are built very well and any damage sustained is more from rider input than it is from manufacturer defects or poor design.

A person really can't go wrong with nay of the large bore machines currently on the market.

Glad you had a great time.

I'm just going to throw in my opinion... ARCTIC CAT!!!!

"Polaris, the way out"....... "tow strap, the way back in"!!!

Didn't your brand new kitty come back on a tow rope and lot's of expensive maintenance after you swamped it at Spider Lake? cool

Here is a picture of 1 of the Arctic Cats this weekend, fortunately nothing too serious.

P1000160.jpg

Im curious to what you thought of the Black Hills and the trails out there? Was this your first time riding out there?

I am pretty familar with the area and try to get out there as much as I can.

As to the original poster, I have to agree with the above posts, but most of all go out and ride and test drive each quad its self and use that as your decision maker. Go with one fits you best and you wont be dissapointed.

that was the riders fault!!! NOT the kittys fault!!!!

Just had to raz you a bit grin Alot of machines problems come from a string of things the rider does or does not do to the machine, some is rider capability, some are just plain accidents alot are from lack of maintenace or poor judgement.

Defenitely test drive each machine.

Was our first time out there, it was great, we will definetly visit again. Wallace, Idaho is the plan for next June. The Black Hills are fairly affordable, we will probably check out a differnt area next time. We stayed in Hill City, rode from the cabin.