• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crops in the area

Was down to my uncles yesterday and its amazing with corn prices how many acres are planted this spring in the area. Should be some fat deer by winter time. Best yet is a 35 acre field bordering his farm is planted in soybeans this year - should be great early season bowhunting....and being in an EAB zone again for the third year it will come in handy!

No kiddin, hopefully not a repeat of last year with too much rain in spring/early summer and then none and HOT weather July/August. In my hunting area, we got just enough small amounts (1/4") of rain here and there to save the crops. Other areas only 15 miles away got fried. We actually ended up with some of the tallest sileage corn in many, many years with decent ears to boot. I spent a bunch of time and miles watering apple trees - they are looking great thus far minus the two I lost over the winter. I gave them a dose of fertilizer yesterday - the wild apple trees should be great also, over half of them were full of blossoms earlier this year.

Still not sure what to do with my small plot in the woods....need to break in a new one soon for a fall planting of rye. We have about 2 acres of corn for food plot that got a good shot of roundup yesterday. Never know though, with corn prices it might get included in the fall harvest and end up in angus bellies vs whitetail bellies!