Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

UH OH

30 posts in this topic

So my wife, bless her heart was nice enough to mow the grass while I was out fishing last night.

I noticed a small area that wasn’t done so I asked her about it.

She said that the motor started smoking on the lawn mower and started to die so she shut down immediately.

I know exactly what happened.

It consumes a little oil and I haven’t added any this year, so I’m sure it starved itself.

Is there anything I can or should do before turning it over now?

I’m thinking I should just spray some fogging oil into the cylinder and hope for the best………

I'm sure its fine. Those lawn mower engines are pretty tough. So long as it turns over without squeeks or resistance, I'd fill it up with oil and go to work. You could tear it down yourself, but if you'd have to pay someone to do it, you'd eat up the cost of a new mower (depending on the mower of course).

I'm thinking maybe I should parlay this into a rider somehow........

She already thinks it's her fault

grin

My friend's go-kart oil cap fell off once when we were riding it. All they did was fill it up with oil and got a new oil cap, then it started right up.

well she's officially seized.

dang.....

dang, time to get your self that rider.

Ya could try pouring a little coca-cola down the spark plug hole, I've heard of it unsticking a seized motor.

Take the plug out, dump some Marvel Mystery oil down the plug hole and let it sit.

Come back tomorrow, put a screwdriver down the plug hole and give it a tap with a hammer. Just a tap, not a boilermaker style setting a superheater safe end smash, just a tap.

It may loosen up, it may not. Marvel Mystery oil works wonders.

If this doesn't work, go get your rider.

dtro...Not to steal your topic...But,Hey Boilerguy what is a superheater safe end smash?It sounds awesome.

Thanks,Ding

Superheater tubes are connected to the header by what we call a safe end. The safe end is welded onto the header, and the superheater tube is rolled into the safe end.

Once the roll is complete, to remove the mandrel you need about a 12 pound hammer and a haymaker swing coming from last Wednesday to get it out.

DTRO needs a new mower.

Dtro -

If it makes you feel any better, my dad thought he'd be nice and come over and cut our yard with my backup mower.

Problem is, I was in the middle of an oil change with it, but didn't have time to finish the night before.

I was given the option of $3200 for parts and labor into the 28 hp diesel motor, or $4000 for a whole new mower.

The week before I had almost made a deal to trade this mower in, but then backed out.

I called the dealer back, said I'll trade it in now minus whatever it takes for them to fix the mower. My timing was off.

BTW, if you would like a 2006 28 hp diesel mower with a 60" deck, I know where you'll be able to buy one. laugh

I unseized a mower kind of how Boilerguy stated. Ran for four more years just fine.

I will give it a try, thanks.

Don't give up on it quite yet, DTRO. I'm not a believer in "Mechanic in a can" but Marvel Mystery oil is the real deal for unsticking stuck things.

If it's melted then it won't work. If it just got hot, and stuck a bit you have a fighting chance.

Then again, if you get it running again you won't get your rider.

Success!!!

I didn't have any special magic oil, but I did have some fogging oil, so I sprayed the cylinder down good and let it sit overnight.

Came home today and beat the heck out of the blade until she started turning.

Pulled rope till it pulled over easily.

Popped spark plug back in. Hit the primer and fired it up in one pull.

Lots of smoke but that cleared out quick.

Thanks guys! You saved me some money.

You attacked it in the wrong order Dtro - you should have said something along the lines of, well, the grass is getting tall and we need to cut it. I'm headed out to buy a rider.

Get home, cut grass with new rider. Then, about a week later, you say, I'm going to check out that old mower - see if there's anything I can do to fix it, otherwise I'm going to get rid of it.. and voila, two lawn mowers - one rider and one push.

marine_man

60% of the time, that works every time.

To be quite honest, my lot is only a 1/2 acre and God knows I can use the once a week workout.

Maybe you should stay home and mow the lawn and let your wife go shopping. That would fix everything.

To be quite honest, my lot is only a 1/2 acre and God knows I can use the once a week workout.

No wonder the fish are in constant danger!!! gringrin

I have almost 3 acres that is starting to get a tad long. Iffin you're feeling like a workout, come on over!!!!

When you're done, we can go fishing.

Lwnmwn Man 2 Shoot me an Email. I may be interested in the machine. timsladek@yahoo.com

Moose

Dtro, seeing the cats you're pulling in this year, you need to spend more time on your lawn, give the rest of us at least a fighting chance!!!! wink

Maybe you should stay home and mow the lawn and let your wife go shopping. That would fix everything.

Good Grief harvey that's horrible advice. It could cost more than the new rider to give a Mrs. ANY Mrs. free reigns on the shopping cart.

I don't know about that Jeff. Seems for years when I have went on a hunting or fishing trip that the agreement was that she could also spend the same on whatever. Works good as she never says no.