• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broken Rod repair.

marbleye

Question

This past weekend I was doing some walleye fishing with my favorite rod.6'8" Berkley select medium Gary Roach. This rod is about 15yrs old. But it works great.It fits my hand perfect for rigging. Well it broke about 12" from the top. Is there anything I can do with it? The handle is what i really like. Is there anyway of getting the old blank out of it? I would like to put a new blank in it. Yor advice would be helpful.

Marbleye

3 answers to this question

I would call one of these two shops. They could place a new tip top on it but you would probably loose some of the action on the end of the rod. I'm sure they could probably place a new blank in the handle but the price might be expensive and it may be less to purchase a new rod. Worth checking though.

Midwest Rod & reel

http://www.midwestrodandreel.com/

Thorne Bros

http://thornebros.com/

There is a way to repair the rod. It involves cutting a fairly short piece from another rod blank (junk) and creating a sleeve to fit over the broken area. I have done it on a couple rods for friends and family and it seems to work pretty well. Either of the companies Harvey Lee pointed you to may be able to help or you may have to find a rod builder that does rod repair. Good luck on getting your rod fixed.

Another thought is a custom rod builder should be able to replicate the handle you have on a new custom rod and you can then pick the exact blank and action you want. May cost a few extra $$ but probably worth it in the long run.