• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 150hp - 2 stroke or 4 stroke

JVAllstar

I am buying a new 21 foot Starcraft fishing boat, and I have a choice of which outboard motor to buy. I have had great luck with my current 115hp Yamaha 2 stroke for the past 10 years. The current specs of my new boat call for a 150hp. I hear a lot about the new 4 strokes, but I have had such good luck with the 2 strokes I'm hesitant to switch. Any suggestions?

We upgraded from a 135 Mercury to a 150 Honda 4-Stroke. Haven't had a bit of engine trouble yet, starts on every turn, and it's nice and slow as well as quiet, great for trolling.

If you've got a choice, I'd definitely go with a 4 stroke.

there probly gonna be some trade offs. The 2 stroke is gonna be faster and Quicker and lighter, On the other hand a four stroke your gonna be able to troll slower a be Quieter with better gas milage.

I had a 115 Yami 2 stroke on my last boat (7 years) and have a 150 4 stroke Yami on my new boat..Would I go back to 2 stroke? No way....Quiet, no smoke or gas smell, a tank of gas lasts forever..I could go on and on....

Lighter and quicker plane with a 2 stroke is the argument you will hear. Lighter - yes but by how much, 100 lbs maybe, when your loaded boat weighs 4,000 lbs are you really worried about another 100 lbs (2.5%). Quicker plane - yes but again by how much? a second or two.

IMO the benefits of the 4 stroke (the main one being lower fuel costs) out weigh the benefits of the two stroke.

In that size motor I would go with the 4 stroke all the way. Like said above the 150 Yamaha 4 stroke is a very reliable motor and great on gas. Trolls pretty good too but you may need a drift sock at times.

With gas prices the way they are I would get the 4 stroke. Plus they are nice and quiet and easy to winterize and change oil on. Usually only have to do that once a year so no big deal there.

Another vote for a 4 stroke. I went that way for the first time this year and am very happy. The quiet alone is worth it and when you add in the ease of starting and fuel economy, I don't think you'd be sorry.

My father in law has a 4 stroke yammi (either 150 or 175 can't remember) on his Ranger, and it is really nice. Smooth, quiet, and reliable.