• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for some good amateur baseball

DonBo

Looking for something close to home for 4th of July weekend. Anyone proud of their local team / ballpark? Looking for some nice park within 1 1/2 hr drive of the Twin Cities. If your local team is playing the weekend of the 4th, please let me know.

I beleive there is a baseball tournament in Delano, MN that weekend. There are 3-4 games a day and usually some pretty good ball teams.

They have a decent park and there is also modified and slowpitch softball tournaments going on that weekend.

Delano is only about 20 minutes west of minneapolis.

Here is some info that may be helpfull.

Park National "A" has a few metro teams that may be playing and its very good ball but I do prefer the smaller towns teams class B/C the parks they play in are much cooler IMO, but it may be a bit of drive to Belle Plaine or Miesville for you.

http://www.minnesotabaseball.org/pages/teams.html

Go to Peir Bridges link and click on any team you want and find a game time. I would tell you to come watch my team(St. Francis) but we always take that weekend off. If you want to watch good amateur baseball go watch teams from the St. Cloud area or a small town team from out west like Dassel or down south like Dundas.

You couldn't pay me enough to go watch a softball tournament.

Jake

You couldn't pay me enough to go watch a softball tournament.

Jake

Whats wrong with watching softball Jake...... U don't like to watch beer drinking meatheads hit the ball and let everyone know how good they are? LOL (this is refering to competitive softball)

Even when I played competitive softball I always wondered why anyone would want to waste a good day watching softball.....

And if you aren't interested in slow pitch like these gentlemen apparently aren't, the DC Saints play at Irish stadium in Maple Lake on July 2nd. Those are always fun to watch, and only a few bucks to get in.

Pier, funny you mentioned Miesville, my wife suggested going there. Have you been there? Is the park nice?

Sorry guys, not really interested in softball.

Keep the suggestions coming. We have been touring lots of major league parks and some minor league ones as well, but with the price of gas, we'll be staying closer to home this summer. Really more interested in the parks themselves, so if you've got a good one in mind, please let me know.

Thanks!

I have played many times at Miesville's park. Awesome park to go watch a game at. Other parks that are dynamite are(in no particular order): Red Wing, Dundas, Dassel, Arlington, Howard Lake, Hinckley, Dick Putz and Faber(St. Cloud), Maple Lake, Minnetonka, Chaska, and I am sure there are many more that I am forgetting.

Donbo...Meisville is ok if you like 250 down the left field line....But then I have bad memories of the field. Unless things have changed, there are lot better places to go. Plus the Hastings bridge is under repair making it more difficult to get there right now. Glenn57 likes Cold Spring park and a friend here showed me the Jordan park on the internet.

I have heard Jordan is nice, but no games there or Cold Springs that weekend. We'll keep them in mind for future trips though. Thanks!

donbo, good thing i read the hole post before popping off. i was to suggest the next class b champs, cold spring springers but as you stated they dont play that weekend. if you ever do come to c.s. let me know, i live 2 blocks from the park. they also have promotions from local busnesses that i think get you in free or the coupon is good for a drink and hot dog. they usually play evening games on the weekends.

Thanks glenn, I'll keep that in mind. You post a lot on the women's forum, your wife interested in baseball also? It's about the only thing my wife and I really enjoy together. She doesn't have much interest in my outdoor pursuits. frown

Like I said...it was a bad experience when my son played there, so I really shouldn't let that influence others decisions on the ball field. Personally I liked Dundas and Redwing better, but that is what is great about trying to be a human, we all can make our own choices.

To bad about Cold Spring not playing that weekend sweet Park for sure.

Watching slowpitch softball in Annandale is always a blast during the 4th. If you're looking for a place that enjoys Independence day, Annandale is the spot. They take pride in their celebration.

Played in it 10 straight years what a blast, it sure was a weekend to pad the HR totals. grin

We almost beat he Merchants one year to win it! DOH!

yea she will watch baseball a bit and pretend to show an interest in football, nothing else. outdoor activities she fishes both winter and summer no interest in hunting.

If you ever make it down to south central MN, Franklin Rogers park in Mankato or Johnson Park in New Ulm are great places to watch baseball games.

My wife is from the Mankato area. We have seen some "Moondogs" games. You are right, the park is very nice. Not been to New Ulm, we'll put it on the list.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

We have a game in Arlington on Sunday the 6th vs. St. Peter at 6:00. It could be a good game or a bad one(we seem to have some of both) but it is a great park and atmosphere. There may be some other games in the area too so you could possibly hit two different parks and games the same day.

July 6th the Chaska Cubs take on the Jordan Brewers. This is a rivalry game for these two cities and the games are always tight between two of the best Class B teams in the state. As for the park it doesnt get much better than Chaska's Athletic Park. Its nestled right down with the trees in the minnsota river valley and in my eyes is one of the best parks in the state! It should be a great baseball atmosphere!