Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
onemore

Bonus Carp, Lake Michigan

I spent the last few days fishing with some friends for Salmon and steelhead out on Lake Michigan.

The Marina that the boat was in had huge carp swimming in the harbor and dock area! They were averaging 9 to 20 lbs and cruising around in pods of 5 to 15 fish.

All of the gear on the boat was for trolling the big lake (flashers, spoons, etc) but we did bring fly rods to fish streams in case the lake was too rough.

We caught a bunch of these monster carp on 5 weight and 8 weight rods. It was a blast!

We were sight casting flies ahead of them and when they took the fly the fight was on!

I had one strip out my line to the end of my backing!

I will post pictures once my brother sends me them.

What marina where you guys at? I grew up in Manitowoc, WI on Lake Michigan and remember seeing huge schools of carp around the marina there. Too bad gas is so pricey, I could use a good visit home.

I had the same experience in Sturgeon Bay last week. We hit the Steelhead and Salmon during the day, and then dropped some lines of the dock in the evening. All those game-fish hunters may talk trash about carp, but the whole marina was giddy as I pulled in a 24" bull.

They were spawning, but still eating.

Onemore, I have been seeing those bulls roll around in the marina for years in both bailey's harbor and at algoma. I've done most of my damage with the traditional corn/ hair rig but am gonna try the fly this august when we are out there. Got any recommendations on flys? I am planning on bringing the carp wooley and others. If you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it. thanks

I do have a recommendation: Hex nymph with bead head and rubber legs in a rust color.

The real trick was in getting them to take the fly. If it was cast right on top of them they would swim or sink away.

Every carp I hooked up with I cast ahead or where I thought they were going to be. I didn't do anything with the fly but let it drop. If it was dropping off to the side and not right in front of them they would get interested and turn and suck it in! It seeemed like the fly had to be at eye level or below. There was some surface gulping and I tried some mayflies, but without success. I also saw the carp chase some dying ailwives -and tried a minnow immitation but they didn't go for that either.

We did catch a few on a san-won worm as well.

Good luck - I hope you get into some.

The fly on the upper right of this picture is similiar to what worked best:

i319326sn01.jpg

Matt

One other thought - I read the book "Carp on the Fly" and the author recommends the Princes Nymph as one of biggest producers for carp. I never tried the Prince Nymph in Algoma.

I have used a rust colored wooly bugger, and rust colored bead headed "leech" pattern on my home waters with success.