• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

some advise

Very nice shot, icewoman.

You've got a lot of options for stronger zoom lenses. You can go the least expensive route and spend about $160 on a Tamron 70-300 or similar inexpensive zoom put out by several lens makers. Nikon makes a consumer level 70-300 with vibration reduction (their term for in-camera image stabilization) for around $500. You can get more toward the pro level and lay out more money, somewhere around $700 if memory serves, for a Tamron 200-500, which will give you better image quality and more zoom than the first lens. Sigma makes a 50-500 and 170-500 for around $1,000 with good reputations for image quality, and Sigma is just now coming out with a 150-500 that has in-lens image stabilization.

You could also go the most expensive routes yet for pro-level zoom lenses and buy Nikon's top zooms. Nikon offers a 80-400 ($1,400) that has excellent image quality, as well as the much more expensive 200-400 ($5,100). Both have VR.

Any of the lenses mentioned will do well, with the middle and upper ranks having a more rugged build quality, better image quality, and with the very valuable vibration reduction.

As far as books go, The Digital Photography Book and vol. 2 by Scott Kelby would go high on my list of reading. I personally have not read them, but I enjoy Kelby's style of teaching Photoshop.

If you look on Amazon he has a high list of positive reviews. Good luck with the new camera, I hope you will share some of your work here with us.

One thing to add to Steve's comments are that with the D40 you are limited to lenses with built in focus motors. A lot of those that Steve mentioned don't have that. The Nikons will almost all have them and the Sigma lenses with HSM have them. I'm not sure about Tamrons though.

It is frustrating being limited but I did look at the Tamrons and it looks as if the one for the Nikon has an auto focus motor. I can see a big difference already in my shots. The ones I took of my first post compared to the ones of the loons are much more vivid.

I do believe that my next lens will be the Tamron, right now I am on the entry level because I am still concerned about dumping 600.00 + into the lake. The question is what do you do with all the stuff you already have when you move up. I already have a hard time explaining why I have purchased three digital camera's in a matter of two years before I finally went and bought a DSLR. I think this will fight the bill for a couple of years at least. Right now I mainly want to take pictures at the cabin and of the birds at the cabin. I can't tell you how much fun I had taking pictures this weekend sitting on the deck with the camera pointed at the feeders, soon as I went in that dang Oriole showed up.

Sounds like you've been bitten by the shutterbug, alright. gringrin

When I upgraded to Canon L glass, I sold my other lenses as they were no longer needed. Resale value on inexpensive lenses isn't much, sometimes, but every little bit helps.