• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Uncommon moth, uncommon orchid . . .

Neither the moth nor the orchid are rare. But on all the moth sites online I can't find a record for a Cecropia silkworm moth this far north and east in Minnesota, and the spotted coralroot is the least commonly seen of all the coralroots.

We spotted both along the Echo Trail today, and I threw in an image of blue-eyed grass as a bonus.

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100 f2.8 macro

Spotted coralroot emerges

iso200, 1/250 at f6.3, handheld

2602946680_0ebc1fd7cd_o.jpg

Cecropia profile

iso200, 1/200 at f4.5

2602946024_a1df201e35_o.jpg

A closer look

iso400, 1/400 at f5.6

2602116061_9e735eeb4f_o.jpg

On tilt

iso400, 1/400 at f4.5

2602943566_635c0aab84_o.jpg

Head-on

iso400, 1/800 at f4

2602987204_985a5b325a_o.jpg

Blue-eyed grass

iso400, 1/6400 at f2.8

2602942576_94c4462def_o.jpg

Fabulous shots, Steve! Really sharp, clear and well composed. That moth was really patient with you. Used to see some where I grew up but as you said, none up here. I've seen one other spotted coralroot in the area - in my yard! I have some photos on slides (nothin' close to these) I took years ago, and actually looked for it this weekend, but either it hasn't bloomed yet, or might not be blooming this year. I'll check again this week.

Thanks, Ken.

I filed a report on the moth with a Minnesota moth expert and he suspects the cecropia is actually fairly well distributed all across the northern part of the state. It's just that moth species are poorly reported, he said.

Figures. I think I have a rare moth but I don't. Life is so like that. gringrin

I wish I had a coralroot in my yard. I've gotta drive quite a ways to photograph this one! gringrin

Nice Capture Steve!....I Myself had the good fortune last friday at work to have a cecropia in my hand!(put it down to go find a box or bag)...acquaintance at work knew I liked photography and saw one on the floor..but he/she flew off first cry....no photos of course!~....I do have a few photos of a cecropia from the last couple of years though(some where in my archives)...there has been a few around Hibbing...pretty far and in between though!....moths sure are neat ...make for some nice photos....