Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LMITOUT

Mears out....

22 posts in this topic

Mark Martin in?

That's what ESPN is reporting for the #5 car next year. So does that mean a full schedule for Martin? I can't see Hendrick only having three full-time drivers. So much for partial retirement I guess.

i have not heard anything about this. Mears has not really done anything for Hendricks in the last few years, so it might be a good thing to change it up a bit. If martin was able to get with this team, it wouldnt supprise me at all that he would run the whole season.

Tony Stewart in??

Now rumors about Stewart eyeballing the #5 spot are starting to pop up.

Silly season is open!

Silly Season is defiantley open. I just read on Jayski that supposedly the Hass/CNC deal with Stewart is done and Newman will be the second driver with sponsors being Office Depot and Burger King. It also said that news release could be as early as next week at Daytona. With all of the changes happening this year next year will be very interesting. NASCAR is in soapopera mode now!

Here is the story.

More on Stewart and Haas CNC UPDATE done deal?: UPDATE: supposedly the deal is done, earlier Friday, a source close to the situation said that Chevrolet has agreed to terms with Joe Gibbs Racing to buy Tony Stewart out of his contract with the #20-Toyota Sprint Cup racing team. Stewart will indeed be making the move to Haas CNC Racing, a rumor that has been circulating for months. Supposedly Stewart’s new sponsor will be Office Depot and terms have been finalized regarding the impending sponsorship. In addition, Stewart will be joined by current #12 Penske Racing driver Ryan Newman, who would be sponsored by Burger King. No word yet on what car numbers the drivers will run and an announcement could come as early as next week at the Daytona International Speedway

50% ownership has a big thing to do with the HASS deal. There was also talk from racingone dot whatever that Home Depot is dropping out of the sport and Bass Pro wants to follow Tony and give up on Truex Jr. Who is also looking for a ride, possibly at RCR.

Mears is recieving offers from IRL teams to move back to open wheel????

Crazy crazy...

He would go to Hass/CNC be cause 1. Chevrolet 2. Hendrick backs the team with equipment 3. He is looking at his future(ownership). In my opinion if he took ownership at Hass, he could be competative right out of the gate, the only reason they have been "junk" is because they dont have quality drivers. They would be a heck of alot better if they had someone that could drive. Stewart could be the guy, and he would definatly attract other good drivers and big name sponsors.

Stewart in their cars would be better than what they have, but he wouldn't be as good as a Gibbs, Hendrick, Rousch car. He'd need some better personnel, especially at crew chief and car chief positions. Remember he's never won a Cup race without Zippy on the box, no driver can win with junk setups, bad adjustments and slow pit stops in today's NASCAR.

Thats very true, but with a driver like stewart he will get the right people around him to win and you can pretty much guarantee that Zippy goes with him. I don't personally care what he chooses but if he went that route it sure would make next year interesting.

Doubt it. Most any driver in NASCAR would drive for HMS except the Rousch drivers. HMS probably would not ask them anyways.

Its official, Mark Martin will drive the 5 car next year. He will make a run for the championship. Looks like Hendrick will officially have 4 top notch drivers now.

Team Ego just got a lot better. Now Mr. Geritol is going to get the best stuff. Too bad for Ralphie

HMS is only getting better and better with adding martin to the team.

HMS is only getting better and better with adding martin to the team.

I disagree.

He's too old to cut the mustard.

Mears a non factor.

Martin a non factor.

I can only shrug my shoulders.

to old, hes one of the best drivers out there. Hes in the top group.

to old, hes one of the best drivers out there. Hes in the top group.

He's 49 yrs. old.

IMO, his best years are behind him.

He retired in 2005 because he was not competitive.

Nothing has changed. It's kind of sad.

ya i understand what your saying. but with the time that he has spent in the buz, i think HMS would help him out alot, and he would be a great driver for them.

I think he could contend, look what he has done with the DEI stuff that isn't up to par with the rest of the teams. Talented and patient driver.....maybe to patient when looking back to years past.

Tunrevir~

Ither way, hes a great guy and im glad to see him come over to HMS.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• I wanted to do a little write up on my Colorado elk hunt I went on the other week, a group of 7 of us went out for a week, 4 muzzy hunters, 2 bowhunters and 1 hiker/photographer/packer.  We have family that has a cabin in the area we hunted so we planned on staying there 1 night before we were going to camp for 6 nights in the wilderness.  A couple quick pics of what my meals and gear were for the week, after hours of reading I tried as hard as possible to keep it around the 100 calories per ounce for my food I think in the end I was around 105 after I got done with all my weighing measuring, the only thing not in there was my Mountain House meals.   

IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

With having so many of us going we didn't need to double up on a lot of the items, water filtration, first aid, rope etc.  The night before we went out we took the scale out and made everyone get on we all average about 60 pounds with water except my father in law which at one  point was almost at 100 pounds and we slimmed it down to about 80.

IMG_0471.JPG

After sitting down the night before and finalizing our plan we were going to hit a trail head up in the morning and hike back about 3-4 miles and make camp, based off of the maps and Google earth we saw water and large enough areas to get off the trails to get in some decent hunting areas....that was our first big mistake which we regretted. 

We got up early ate a good breakfast and hit the trailhead, most in the group were early 30s with my father in his 50s being the oldest but we were all in decent shape...so we thought it didn't take more then 15 minutes of up hill walking at 9,000' of elevation with 60 pounds packs to humble us very quickly.  There was a lot of stopping as we made it down the trail as our lungs go acclimated to the thinner air but the amazing scenery made the trek a little easier.

IMG_0473.JPGIMG_0475.JPG

The trail took us about a mile in before we reached the wilderness and at that point we had another 2-3 miles back, as we got into the wilderness the terrain became steeper and steeper and our pace got slower and slower, it took us almost 4 hours to make it a little over 2 miles in, at that point we finally found a very tiny water source, we became concerned at that time not seeing any water, we checked our map and saw a creek about another half mile up so we headed on got there and it was dry as a bone.  We looked again and saw another spot about a mile up we walked about half a mile then split up with half the group relaxing, eating, and scouting and a few other going to check for water.  The area had great spots for a camp, elk sign everywhere but 0 water, the other guys came back and said it was dry up further to, we didn't want to walk a mile each day for water and didn't exactly trust the water source either so we decided we were safer to turn around instead of keep going deeper into the wilderness hoping to find water.  The trailhead at the start of the wilderness split off one direction so we sent one guy down that way to check one last water source before we totally scrapped that area and went back to the cabin.  He ran into a couple local hikers who said all the smaller creeks and drainages were all dried up and they hadn't had rain in awhile at that point we packed the trucks back up headed back to the cabin and ordered pizza.  8 miles of brutal walking for the day and we were right back to where we were at the start of the day.

• 20 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 

mine gets planted out in the open that has critters around including deer and never had issues. that's just me though!!!!

Cooperman likes this
    • I was at the cabin this weekend and seen a few of them also. wasn't paying a whole lot of attention at home but thought i'd seen one here in stearns county last nite. gonna keep an eye out tonite.

I know the hummingbirds are gone!

• I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 

•  Good Luck out there. Went up this past weekend to to mow the trails, etc. and I even brought the boat motor with to fish but the wind never quit blowing! Hopefully I'll give it a shot in a few weeks.

• I wanted to do a little write up on my Colorado elk hunt I went on the other week, a group of 7 of us went out for a week, 4 muzzy hunters, 2 bowhunters and 1 hiker/photographer/packer.  We have family that has a cabin in the area we hunted so we planned on staying there 1 night before we were going to camp for 6 nights in the wilderness.  A couple quick pics of what my meals and gear were for the week, after hours of reading I tried as hard as possible to keep it around the 100 calories per ounce for my food I think in the end I was around 105 after I got done with all my weighing measuring, the only thing not in there was my Mountain House meals.    With having so many of us going we didn't need to double up on a lot of the items, water filtration, first aid, rope etc.  The night before we went out we took the scale out and made everyone get on we all average about 60 pounds with water except my father in law which at one  point was almost at 100 pounds and we slimmed it down to about 80.   After sitting down the night before and finalizing our plan we were going to hit a trail head up in the morning and hike back about 3-4 miles and make camp, based off of the maps and Google earth we saw water and large enough areas to get off the trails to get in some decent hunting areas....that was our first big mistake which we regretted.  We got up early ate a good breakfast and hit the trailhead, most in the group were early 30s with my father in his 50s being the oldest but we were all in decent shape...so we thought it didn't take more then 15 minutes of up hill walking at 9,000' of elevation with 60 pounds packs to humble us very quickly.  There was a lot of stopping as we made it down the trail as our lungs go acclimated to the thinner air but the amazing scenery made the trek a little easier. The trail took us about a mile in before we reached the wilderness and at that point we had another 2-3 miles back, as we got into the wilderness the terrain became steeper and steeper and our pace got slower and slower, it took us almost 4 hours to make it a little over 2 miles in, at that point we finally found a very tiny water source, we became concerned at that time not seeing any water, we checked our map and saw a creek about another half mile up so we headed on got there and it was dry as a bone.  We looked again and saw another spot about a mile up we walked about half a mile then split up with half the group relaxing, eating, and scouting and a few other going to check for water.  The area had great spots for a camp, elk sign everywhere but 0 water, the other guys came back and said it was dry up further to, we didn't want to walk a mile each day for water and didn't exactly trust the water source either so we decided we were safer to turn around instead of keep going deeper into the wilderness hoping to find water.  The trailhead at the start of the wilderness split off one direction so we sent one guy down that way to check one last water source before we totally scrapped that area and went back to the cabin.  He ran into a couple local hikers who said all the smaller creeks and drainages were all dried up and they hadn't had rain in awhile at that point we packed the trucks back up headed back to the cabin and ordered pizza.  8 miles of brutal walking for the day and we were right back to where we were at the start of the day.
    • mine gets planted out in the open that has critters around including deer and never had issues. that's just me though!!!!
    • I was at the cabin this weekend and seen a few of them also. wasn't paying a whole lot of attention at home but thought i'd seen one here in stearns county last nite. gonna keep an eye out tonite. I know the hummingbirds are gone!  
    • I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 
    • Good Luck out there. Went up this past weekend to to mow the trails, etc. and I even brought the boat motor with to fish but the wind never quit blowing! Hopefully I'll give it a shot in a few weeks.
    • We had our first Junco arrive this weekend. Hope that is not a sign of the type of winter we are in for 
    • I made a sled for my pop up that pulls everything out on the ice then I put the shelter over the sled and the lights are on the sled. 
    • Last week I washed my Brute Force in preparation for an up-coming trip to a hunting camp and of course one can't go with it looking like dump. The black plastic portion looked faded and I wanted to refresh it. I decided to try using Armor-all vinyl cleaner and was surprised at the outcome. It looked like new again. Might be worth a try. 
    • Yeah, I know. I was just adding to it. 
    • I reckon its getting close to that time to replant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Our Sponsors