• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fire pit in yard installation

carpmaster4

i did it a real cheap way and it looks pretty decent...go find a farmer with some extra rocks...they are pretty easy to find..at least in my area smile

I dug out the area and put the rocks in on the edge for the ring. Try to find rocks the same size...

Can also get a fire ring from a store or yard pavers.

Ive used 18 inch deep 36 inch diamater round culvert for a pit liner then used brick on sand to create a patio around the pit. They make a circle patern kit for bricks that makes it real easy to install. It looks great when your all done and it fits in with yard.

You'll see the USFS using the pits at some campgrounds. I don't like them at all. Fire can't get enough air. The warmth from the fire is directed straight up. They are a pain to light and feed. But the number one reason, the flames are in a hole.

The pits are good for keeping the ash in one spot and your forced keep the fire size down. Thats all good for a campground but not at my house.

I want want to see and feel the fire. I use a 4' ring made from rocks. I would spend more thought, energy, and money on the area around the fire ring.

I framed in an area of about 12' x 18' using 6" x 8" x 6' timbers. I then dug in an old tractor tire right in the middle and put larger rocks around the ring. I then back filled the rest of the area with smaller rocks. The ring is at ground level and it works and looks great.

Mike

How much wood (or other stuff) are you going to burn in there? Consider the aspect of cleaning it out, and how you plan on doing that into the design. Some people use a skidsteer to clean out their firepit, it's easier to do that or even shovel it out if it's on ground level instead of dug in. And like ST said you can see the fire better and get more heat with a ground level setup.

We had a bunch of 1-1.5ft diameter rocks from a previous owner's water feature gone bad. So I dug about a foot or so down to make the ring and lined it with those rocks (and filled the bottom with a bag of sand).

Our yard has a slight slope to it, so I then made a small retaining wall out of the leftover rock and also a border the rest of the way around. We then filled it in with river rock colored pea gravel.

Its real nice, fire safe, and even holds up to the overly energetic lab we have.

Good Luck!

CJH

That's real nice MuleShack. That's what I was Talking about. The diversity you have with brick is awesome. I would post pictures of the ones Ive done like that but there on my other computer that fried on me.

Awesome job!