• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Outfitter...or anyone who cares to reply

I was just curious if there were any good walleye lakes on the Cedar Narrows Road. I am sure there has to be, but I don't know names, or where. Just looking for something to carry a canoe or a 12' boat into for a little fun. Mainville/cuddle has been slow, I am tired of fishing Rainy. Just looking for a little lake to spend wednesday on.

Thanks in advance guys!

For future reference Pickwick has a decent walleye bite on most days. Pickwick has a good ramp, although it is somewhat steep. I haven't been back to Straw in 5 years, but the ramp was in good conditon then. Timberwolf Resort should be able to give you some current information. They are located almost at the Cedar Narrows Road junction with 502. Straw would be my pick for walleyes. Essox has great smallmouth bite and there are some lakers to be had.

The main road curves right around the lake. There is not a boat launch, you have to take a small boat and carry it across the road. It is a smaller lake Southwest of Vista on the map(not named on my map, but I think there is a sign along the road). The ramp on Straw is pretty shallow after all the heavy rains a few years back, a roller trailer works best.

Hey Bill,

You won't have a problem getting into straw with a 12', but if anyone is trying with a bigger boat or with one with bunks - you may have a problem.

Superbee is right the ramp is very shallow tappering and you need to be out about 50yds before it drops off.

Good Luck

For future reference Pickwick has a decent walleye bite on most days. Pickwick has a good ramp, although it is somewhat steep. I haven't been back to Straw in 5 years, but the ramp was in good conditon then. Timberwolf Resort should be able to give you some current information. They are located almost at the Cedar Narrows Road junction with 502. Straw would be my pick for walleyes. Essox has great smallmouth bite and there are some lakers to be had.

Last year we hit Straw/Sucan and it was a great time. Friday, I'd like to hit Pickwick before we go to Outfitter's Outpost cabin on Manitou. Anyone have any tips on fishing Pickwick?

Thanks,

Similar,

I would also pick up some crawlers just to be safe. From what I have been seeing the past few days the bite is starting to swing to crawlers around here and on the small warmer lakes it might have already switched. I am heading to straw on Saturday, so we will find out.

Hey Craig,

I am heading over there on saturday with 2 bunk trailers. There is a hole off to the right of the landing where the trailer drops down into. It worked good a couple of weeks ago when I was there, I am assuming with all the rain we have gotten the past few days the water will be up and getting in will be no problem.

Similar-

The important thing is that you will be able to drop the boat in with the 2wd.

Dont worry about getting it out...Matt probably needs a portage boat on that lake anyway smile

Thanks Hoffer,

Unfortunately, my "fish" brain thinks like that sometimes! smile

Similar-

Hey, cant remember if you are up there by now - or leaving soon??

Either way - hope the trip goes great - and I look forward to a full report and of course pics when you get back.

Wish I could run up for a few days and join you - but just got back from Chicago and have more travel this week...so it isnt in the cards. I am jealous. Catch lots of fish, have fun - and most importantly - safe travels.