• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If at first you don't succeed. (Video of 40lb Flathead)

DTro

This catfish forum has been a gas to watch over the last couple of months. Giant fish coming in almost every time I check in.

I recieved some flack last winter when I suggested that everyone could catch a forty pounder if they just prioritized their life to spend more time on the water. I'm so glad to see more and more people fighting through the tough learning curve of fishing in the dark and the dejection of fishless nights on new holes and finally being rewarded with some giant fish.

So many people give up after a few fishless nights. All the catch and release has been awesome too. Most of the big fish are all still out there for all of us.

The thing that really gets me excited is seeing all the big flatheads early in the year. In years past I would look forward to a hot channell bite in the spring but I saved my flatheads for fall. I assumed that they were hard to catch because half of them are on eggs. Do you guys think this hot bite has been extended do to the cold spring and the the fish are going to nest later-or do you guys think you just have it dialed in and expect this good spring bite for flatheads to be a pattern for years to come. Do you expect to see a slow down as summer sets in? Keep the videos coming-Hans

Dtro, could you please explain the situation there, as far as location and presentation went? Was there just a big hole infront of that creek that you guys were casting into? Was the boat positioned just upstream from the hole? Right on the edge of the hole? A little ways away from it? I'm still trying to learn flathead locations.

I really don’t want to give out specific information about any particular spot.

Each creek is very different from the next. Not only that but a single creek can change from day to day. You would need to fish the creek in the video much different now than how we did it due to water level and current flow.

In general there will be a sweet spot at each creek. It will take some time and effort to find that sweet spot. Thus spending night after night on the water. Sometimes that sweet spot is quite large, other times is only big enough for 1 or 2 baits.

Part of the fun of fishing is finding that sweet spot wink

I will say that I’ve had my best luck with creeks that are adjacent to a downstream hole.

Don’t rule out snags now that the water is starting to come down. That will be the next focus, especially the sunken/hidden snags, they can really be gems in the rough. I’ve already caught a few fish out of snags that are out of the main current.

Dtro, could you please explain the situation there, as far as location and presentation went? Was there just a big hole infront of that creek that you guys were casting into? Was the boat positioned just upstream from the hole? Right on the edge of the hole? A little ways away from it? I'm still trying to learn flathead locations.

I will mention it again for the record as I did in another post. Try some skinnier water.... One of the things that DRTO and I compliment each other on is our specialties in certain sections of the river. I happen to be pretty experienced (as is some other guys on this forum) in the wide water areas.

That video for the record is one of the more revealing pieces on the net. Normally we wouldn't post something like that.... for fear of the spot getting nailed by a dozen people over night. (hence photo shopped pics)

Please don't take offense when people don't give you specific locations, the majority of the guys on this forum are more than happy to give you the info you need to have a decent if not good shot at catching fish. The problem being is that for every member that posts, there are 5-10 lurkers out there that would gladly abuse the info and not share any of their own.

It takes a lot of time and practice, trial and error. Some get lucky and have someone show them the ropes... Most of the veterans out there went to the school of hard Knox and had to figure it out for them selves (prior the Internet forums). I know some guys that are great fisherman and have gone very long periods of time with out catching a big fish. Hanson, Shamu and Shackbash to name a couple...

With cat-fishing you need to look at the entire picture. If your not entirely sure on what that picture is? Go back and read all the old info in the forums, check out other sites, read books and by videos, There is some great info here and lots of guys to share it.

Please don't be offended when spots are not given, and locations down to the inch are not spelled out.

Hang in there and keep trying, the true sign of a cat hunter is patience and willingness to keep trying. Lots of wannabe's out there......

You will feel awesome when you get your first one!!!!

Good luck

Another thing I’ll add is that I’ve learned so much by fishing with a large variety of people the past couple of years.

Just when you think you have it all figured out, you go fishing with someone new and a few more light bulbs pop on and bells go ding ding ding.

That’s what so great about these community forums, there are a lot of bright minds out there, sometimes you just need to read between the lines.

You hit right on the button LCF. The past couple weeks I have had the opportunity to make it out on the river with 4wanderingeyes, and have learned a great deal in the couple of outtings I have made. He has showed me many good areas to fish but thats doesn't mean there going to bite there either. I have to consider this my first real year of cattin although I have been catfishing for a few years now but this year I have gotten to start doing some real cattin. I have gone back a looked at old post, videos and magazines and have learned so many new things that I never even knew. I would like to thank the guys on here for the information they have shared with me and also taking me out on the river. I consider this my rookie year and I still have so much more to learn. I best thing is I finally got my first flats of the year last night and came home with to chewed up, bloody sore hands. I love it. Thanks again guys

My bad guys, I didn't mean for it to sound like I wanted the GPS coordinates for that spot, I just meant in general, sorry! It was more of a "If you approach a creek, how do you fish it?" Question. I just used that as an example because it was easier for me to understand what you meant, since I could see it in the video. DEFINITELY not trying to find that spot, just wondering on how you fish creeks in general. Sorry again.

My bad guys, I didn't mean for it to sound like I wanted the GPS coordinates for that spot, I just meant in general, sorry! It was more of a "If you approach a creek, how do you fish it?" Question. I just used that as an example because it was easier for me to understand what you meant, since I could see it in the video. DEFINITELY not trying to find that spot, just wondering on how you fish creeks in general. Sorry again.

It's cool, No worries. Keep asking the questions, but do your part and learn the ropes, pretty soon your learning curve will skyrocket.

Be patient its only June and we got the whole summer.

wink