• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground blinds for bear Q

For those that have used a ground for bear, how it work for you? Any problems leaving out for the duration of the season on private land of course, Thinking on using mine this year. PRO- a hunter can get away with more fidgeting. CON-a bear will certainly destroy it if he finds it. So how would one set up an use it for bear hunting without having to replace it next year? Boar

I've hunted bear out of ground blinds but they were always natural, ie. downed trees and logs etc, never a pop-up fabric blind. It's a rush, every little sound in the bush makes you think a big bruin (or mama with cubs) is coming in.

I think tree stands are more effective, bears are so wary and tend to circle the bait so much that I think having your scent concentrated on the ground causes too many problems.

I believe bear know you are there whether you are in a tree or on the ground. Their sense of smell is too keen to fool. They pick up your scent regardless of your location. That is why the big boars come in at or after dusk. If your scent trail going into your bait is too fresh the mature bears will wait until dark but the young immature bears will risk confronting you rather than a mature bear that is waiting to come in. I have hunted from tree stands and on the ground with nothing between me and the bear / bait crib. My last bear ( 280 pounds field dressed ) I shot at 10 yards while I sat on the ground with my back against a tree and no cover between me and the bear.I sat there for about 4 hours before the bear came in at last light. To the bear we are just another predator sharing their food source. We may think we are outsmarting them but we are not. They are just taking a risk for a good food source.