• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 Volt TV?

HOGEYE

I just purchased a new ice caste and there is only a 12 volt outlet behing the TV stand. The house is wired for 110 and 12 V, but only a 110 outlet under the bunk. What is the best way to connect a TV? I also have and extra Direct TV dish that I plan on installing. Thanks.

We use a 12V DC to 110(20) AC Power Inverter for our TV in the house. Some of them can be noisy because of fans though, so try to get a test run. The one we just purchased this last winter is nice. Not loud running, and doesn't have a extremely loud high pitched SQUEEL when the batteries were running low.

So how long does eveyones' batteries last in their wheelhouse? I plan on having a TV going for the kids and wondering if I need a generator. I also have a direct vent furnace that uses some juice.

Audiovox makes a great 15" and 19" widescreen HD 12v tv with built in DVD player. The new ones have the digital tuner so you are good to go come Feb 2009. I can hook up my fish cam also. Very cool on the 19" widescreen. Everything in my house is 12v. I still have a EU2000. I hook up the RV converter from my camper in the fish house during the winter. I hook up the gen to run stuff durring the day and charge the batteries. I can unplug the gen and the 12v stuff doesen't even flicker. I run off the batts for prime time and the night.

gizmoguy,

Where did you pick up the audiovox tv? I can't seem to find them in any stores. Online? I've got just the 12v plug by my tv stand also. BTW, when is someone going to put out a quick release coax cable?

Can I still use an Audiovox TV in my home an swap into the wheelhouse when needed?

I also don't care about HD in the fishhouse or in my boy's room (which I would swap it with when not using in the ice house). Maybe there is a cheaper alterntive with a 12 volt/110 with a DVD combo?

The small profile of a flatscreen is nice, I just wonder how an LCD screen compares to a standard tube with cold temps?

I have purchased 2 of the largest yellow marine deep cycle mairine/starting/rv batteries at walmart and also plan on getting a Honda EU2000. My under the bunk battery storage is not vented which I am aslo worried about. Lot of questions... Good info so far everyone. Thanks!

I have a 18 ft Icecastle. I used the TV on 12 volt deep cycles with an inverter but I was also spoiled when my buddy brought his lil honda Generator and we ran a TV a seperate portable DVD player for the kids, lights and microwave and we couldn't hear the generator from inside. I got a small generic generator for free when i bought the fishhouse and, while it's not a honda, I've used it several times and it's relatively quiet and runs everything well. I still want to figure out a way to run the furnace without the batteries. Once i get that figured out I'll have it made.

I have a Honda 2500 and a Honda 1000. At least for me, I have only brought out the 1000. I have a LCD/dvd combo and use one battery for the furnace and one battery for everything else. I have two battery chargers one for each battery. (I like the battery chargers instead of the dual bank charger so I had a charger incase I needed to use one for the truck or someone else needs it). The only lights that I use is the 110 as well. Actually one time I powered up 2 houses in in bind on URL with the 1000 and someone had to use one for the chargers, so that thought worked for once grin. I have not had any problems at all. In my opinion the 2000 would be plenty and you should be more than happy with that.

"hooks"

I got a 6.5 x 14 wheelhouse this summer and I'm in the works of redoing everthing right now and this thread was one ? that I had. I was going to run 2 batteries with charges so when I plug into gen power they will charge. My thought was to only run 12v lights no 110 light and then my TV and Sat will run only when I have the Gen running. Is this smart or I'm I doing it the wrong way. I didn't feel spending the money on an inverter was worth it when I would have the gen running to charge the batteries anyway.

Also what is the rule of thumb when running Gen's. When do you guy turn them off. I was fishing last year on a lake in the south metro and a guy would run his all night till it ran out of gas. Prob around 1-2 in the morning. This really didn't bother me. Just wondering if some guys would get [PoorWordUsage] off at you for running a gen all day and night.

Lot of guys run the gen during the day to charge the batteries then turn it off in the evening for prime time. This is where you would need the inverter to power anything 120v. If theres no one around you could leave it run but I always turn it off once the batts are charged now with the price of gas.

Quote:
My thought was to only run 12v lights no 110 light and then my TV and Sat will run only when I have the Gen running.

This what I do,except that I run only 110 lights while the gen. is running and save the 12 volts for when it isn't.

Quote:
When do you guy turn them off. I was fishing last year on a lake in the south metro and a guy would run his all night till it ran out of gas.

This is also what I do. If the gen is a quiet one, I do not think that is should bother the neighbors. I can hardly hear mine from inside my fishouse, so I am thinking that it doesn't bother the neighbors. One time the neighbors were watching tv from an invertor, so I ran a cord over there an plugged them into the 110. If you have it running for most of the day with the batteries charging, there shouldn't be a problem to run the furnace for the night with the gen turned off before you go to sleep (If you have good batteries). Also, by using the Gen power for everything while it is running gives me some peace of mind that the second battery can be used for the furnace, if by chance, I need it in the middle of the night.

"hooks"

I have a 110v tv with a dvd player and I also have an onboard charger. I have 12v computer fans, lights and accessory outlets. I don't use an invertor so I run my Honda 1,000 and watch a movie in the evening while the batteries are charging. The generator is inside the topper on my pickup which should keep the noise and vibration from affecting the fishing or anyone close to me. I haven't had any complaints yet. I have been thinking about putting an antenna on my wheelhouse, but I really don't watch much tv and I think the reception where I fish would be pretty bad anyway.

I set my 6.5 x 14 up very similar to the way an RV is wired. Just about everything is 12v, except the microwave which is powered through an inverter. I run two battery banks, 2 grp 24's for the furnace, 2 grp 27's for everything else (lights, hole lights, TV, power antenna, outdoor light, computer fans, vexilars).

I charge both battery banks mid-day for about four hours with an Intellipower 45 amp converter powered by a 1000W gen. Then I'm good to go for another night of festiities.