• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aanderud "Monkeys" with a Monster!!!!!

hanson

So we had Belle Plaine Cat League last night, our second night of the year.

My partner for the night was Brian Aanderud and he shows up to the boat launch with this-

062008monkeyee5.jpg

"Ummmm.... Brian.... you are planning on actually bringing a monkey in my boat," I politely asked.

"Yep," he says. "Fishing has been so tough for me lately that I might as well face the monkey and bring him with."

Not only does he bring the monkey in the boat, which I was very, very reluctant to allow. He wraps him around the rod holder that was holding his rod that night. This is just messing with fire now I'm thinking. I could absolutely see no good whatsoever from bringing the monkey into the boat.

It didn't take long for the monkey to strike. I tied into this flathead 7 minutes before "Official" league hours started. 7 MINUTES!!!!

"What are the odds?" I thought to myself.

It was the monkey's doing!

So fish #1, 7 minutes before it could be officially counted, was a nice 25 pounder.

062008hanson37x24flathewk5.jpg

The next 4 hours of fishing produced very little in the way of excitement. One missed hookset, and one smallish flathead which let go of the bullhead just a few feet under the surface of the water. I really wish I could have had that one back for points.

About this time, Aanderud gave Dtro a ring to see how they were fairing. Ummmm... about 12-13 fish in the boat, big one is near 40lb they say. Aanderud and I both look at each other and say, screw it we gotta move! No sooner than hanging up the phone, we were off through the night to spot #2. The curse of the monkey was heavy in the boat!

We pull into spot #2, get our baits out, kick back for a bit, and BAM!! This is what makes cattin' fun! Our attitude about the night changed within a split second. Fish on! BIG FISH Brian says and he wasn't kidding! I was moving to the front of the boat to get the net when I heard the splashing behind the boat. LOTS of splashing!! BIG FISH! Into the net she goes and it suddenly becomes apparent this is 40lbs plus.

The "official" measurements were 45" x 30-1/2" weighing 47lbs on my digital scale. The conversion formulas put her at 48lbs.

Here's one happy fisherman with his Personal Best 47 Pounder!

062008brianaanderud45x3jj7.jpg

062008brianaanderud45x3bu5.jpg

Look at the mouth & head on that girl! Yikes! This fish isn't too far away from being a 50lb + fish and the next time we see her, she probably will be. Gotta let these big girls go to grow!

Big Congrats on the Fish Brian!!

That one should be a winner for the BP League as well! Nothing like catching your Personal Best on League night!

Amidst all the excitement in the boat, Brian decided to dump his tackle box out on the floor of the boat as well. Doh!!

062008whoopshd5.jpg

Between the tackle box getting dumped out, the big girl flopping her tail and spilling all the Doritos out on the floor of the boat, and me losing a life jacket, it was a great night! The monkey is always welcome in my boat now!

I am firm believer in the “Monkey”. It was in the boat and I had seen many fish caught that night.

Great going dude. Brian is over due and has more to come. If you have noticed, he has been in the back grounds of most “big fish” caught this year. Also, he has been with on many of the “great night” with multiple fish caught. He knows his stuff.

Brian,

That “pig” did not have a foot or two of power pro and hook in its mouth, did it? grin

Great recap Hanson.

P.S.,

I bet you had a smile on your face while picking up your tackle!

Thanks guys, and thanks Chris! Great job netting the fish, and look, I don't even have to wear gloves! smile

The rally monkey is a strange beast...on one hand, he helped me out, but on the other hand, it looks like he was slightly bad luck for Chris. While nobody can complain about catching a 25 lb fish, netting a 47 lb fish, and catching another small one, the rally monkey seemed to hose up the timing for Chris. Not only was his first one 7 minutes early -- he also landed a small one at 1:14 a.m., just a bit late. So close to getting points on the board!

Thanks again, Chris. It's always fun fishing with you. Long live chubs pub!

Poor rod holder, or maybe “happy” rod holder grin.

I will not even say what it looks like that monkey is doing to the rod holder. He sure is smiling though grin

Lot of superstition going into christening the rod holder lately and it seems to pan out. I will have try this on my next outing.