• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer probelm

Dahitman44

Question

17 answers to this question

Last week I had an issue getting the boat on straight for the first time ever, and it was because I had the trailer too deep. The back wanted to float over on me.

For roller trailers you do need to be careful about getting in too deep. Let the rollers guide the boat on and it'll go much smoother. The opposite is true for bunk trailers. The boat won't slide on the bunks very easily so they must be submerged but again, too deep may cause some issues because the boat needs to contact the bunks and not just be flaoting over them.

Bob

If it is an EZ roller trailer check the rear bank of rollers to insure they are on correctly . My most recent EZ roller had one of the rear bank of rollers on backwards and I went wild trying to figure out why the boat wouldn't load centered . I had a couple Shorelander rollers before and never had a problem .One day at the landing I got to checking and noticed the situation , the bank wouldn't tilt in far enough and would force the boat to the other side . Removed the bolt the unit pivots on , postitioned correctly and wala , it works as it should . Somebody goofed up ...........

The boat is not loading too deep, but that was a good guess.

It just goes on and pushes to the left side. Everything looks to be about the same because I measured it, but I was thinking about moving the left rear (from the back of the motor side rollers) toward the center and see what would do.

I thought about moving it three inches and then see.

Thoughts?

With boat off trailer , push down on the rollers closest to center , they should go way down and should be the same . If you push down on the outside you will notice that they hit the bracket and stop . Make sense? If one of them is installed backwards it will force the boat the other way .

Try this; at rear of trailer facing toward the front, push down on the rollers that are closest to keel, one on each side of center ,they must go toward the ground the same amount . That is where mine had the problem , one would only go part way [the culprit] or a lot less movement than the other . If that is the case , remove the single pivot bolt on the bracket that holds the four rollers , turn the bracket end for end . and then try . They should form a perfect V for the keel , not a lop-sided one .

Bud -- I will try that.

Just spent 2.5 hours at the access trying many combinations of moving rollers -- NO LUCK.

For the heck of it I got out and we hand cranked it all of the way ...

No CHANGE.

I am thinking about bringing it to the dealer -- what do you guys think?

went to the dealer and they told me to move the gback rollers in even more and then keep it a little more out of the water.

They also said the center of the boat is only an inch off. But when I look at the sides they are about 5 inches off.

might as well try it.

Any thoughts?

they also said it will not hurt boat or trailer to be off. Is that true?

Did you maybe hit the trailer into something, tweaking the trailer frame? My parents did that with their trailer, and even squaring the whole trailer back up (they hit something with the axle), it still never loaded right. This spring they had to pony up and buy a new trailer, as the bearing and spindle was completely shot.

It probably wouldn't hurt the boat to be off center a little bit, when when you say 5" that is a lot. I have only had problems with my boat not loading straight at landings when I have had high wind/waves, but just pulled the trailer a little more out of the water, and everything was fine.

I frequently launch and land my boat on my own so it's not uncommon for me to have the boat misaligned on the trailer.....that being said. Lund4ver's comment on pulling the trailer out a bit more than usual has helped me on really windy days, if your boat is light enough to wench up at that angle. Traveling like this shouldn't be a problem for short term trips but I could see uneven tire wear being an issue on a trip to canada. In regards to the 5 inch error, is this from the transom or from the side of the boat? 5 inches off in the back is tolerable for a short trip. Good luck.

Yeah it is a heavy boat (185 trophy) and wind is not the problem. I just thought is was strange that when you look in the center of the trailer it is only off about one inch, but but when you compare each side of the trailer it is off 4-5 inches? I suppose two inches one way will even it out a bit.

It is just hard to believe that having the trailer off will not hurt, according to the "service Professionals"

Not sure what to think ...