• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bats!!!!!!!!!

CFRay

This seemed the appropriate forum for this.

Looking for advice on ways to discourage bats from using a spot on my house as a favorite roosting site. I hear the little critters at night crawling up the shingles on the other side of the wall from where I sleep. When I discovered the sound came from bats I was afraid they were getting in the attic. I put some window screening in a spot where two roofs come together. The metal soffit maybe could have been loose enough. I never have heard any in the attic.

Now I think they just like to hang out there. I've put some mouse sticky pads down and caught several over the span of two weeks. Last night two more caught. I know they are beneficial to have around and I don't like killing them.

Any thoughts?

Build a bat house?? Same as a wood duck house except the bottom is open and you put cedar boards vertically spaced about an inch apart. I think they're supposed to be painted a dark color so they stay warm in the winter but I could be wrong about that. Check on the DNR or the Extension service HSOforum and maybe you can find plans or ideas on how to get them to move.

That was my first thought, Tom. Bats really don't care that much for living inside homes because there's too much activity during daylinght hours. Build them a bathouse and they'll leave your home and take up residence, so I've heard.

Bob

Build a bat house?? Same as a wood duck house except the bottom is open and you put cedar boards vertically spaced about an inch apart. I think they're supposed to be painted a dark color so they stay warm in the winter but I could be wrong about that. Check on the DNR or the Extension service HSOforum and maybe you can find plans or ideas on how to get them to move.
Ya Dark on the outside no paint inside and face it East south East

My brother injected a couple of shots of amonia in the atic and his bats moved out. I've heard they come back to the same spot because they smell their dung and find their way home. You can squirt some around the enterance late night after they've left and they won't find their way back.