• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rooftop Mallard

The things a guy sees when he doesn't own a 400mm. There were three mallard drakes on my neighbors roof, never got close enough together to get in the same shot. I walked into the neighbors backyard as far as I dared with my 210mm. I didn't want to explain to an officer later why I was in there with my camera.

I have not seen mallards roosting before. Looks like I'll be shopping for longer glass.

RoofMallard1.jpg

Rebel XTi. I'm thinking about a Canon EF 100-300 USM. I've read reviews that give this older lens some favorable ratings. I'm not yet ready to $$ for an IS in the same focal lengths. I also have a EF 28-105 USM (the good one)and the 18-55 kit lens. I'm thinking that would give me a good beginner collection. The 28-210mm I own would likely head for the FOR SALE area.

Sounds like you've got a good start there.

When you end up looking for something even longer some day, a wildlife photographer on a budget can go a long way with some non-Canon lenses. Tamron makes a lightweight 200-500mm that sells for about $750, for example, with nice image quality. I've had a couple clients bring that lens along and I've been impressed with the IQ for the price.

CFray, I use the XTi also. I splurged and bought the 100-400 IS USM L. $1400 and haven't thought twice about it, except everymonth when my discover card bill comes. LOL

Dear Santa,

I'm trying really hard to be a good boy. This year for Christmas I want;

* 100-400L IS

* Browning Citori 20 ga.

* LMS-522 w/ Lakemaster Chip

* Box of Partagas No.10 7.50x49

Thank You.

OK, I'll be fine without the cigars.