• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

URL or LOTW

Doop

Nice fish, it could be the beer but the 1st picture looks like the walleye has a belly button ring. LOL

Ya thats funny now that you brought it up.

I would also say LOW. A chance at a reel trophy walleye.

If you want crappies in the mix do Red. If you dont care about Crappies go LOW.

Yea, that picture does make it look like a pierced walleye! The sunflower seeds are a fish attractant grin. The lure used to catch her is no bigger than a sunflower seed. She is still in the lake so maybe someone can get her agian. With her tail pinched she came in right at 30". In the three years we have been going we catch at least one fish over 27" every year. LOW is worth the drive, no doubt.

I don't know...never fished the angle...our last few trips to LOTW have not been real productive. Don't get me wrong it's always great to go up there. My Dad really enjoys catching crappie and he's never seen an URL crappie first-hand...throw in some walleye every know and then with some perch and a 44 inch northern. Thinking about URL just to try something new.

Well, I have found it reasonable in the past. Who knows what the price of fuel, propane, etc. is going to be from this point foreward. These people work really hard, and need to cover their costs. I wish them the best, as I really love the Angle.

I dont mind paying a little extra for the solitude.

Well, I have found it reasonable in the past. Who knows what the price of fuel, propane, etc. is going to be from this point foreward. These people work really hard, and need to cover their costs. I wish them the best, as I really love the Angle.

I dont mind paying a little extra for the solitude.

I don't think that the lodging is any more expensive up on the angle but the opportunities to catch a real trophy fish will happen for some one in your party sooner or later. My personal best was a 29 1/2" walleye, 38" Northern and a 50" plus muskie to the bottom of the hole plus some huge perch and throw in some tullibies for smoking if you like to catch them all caught while walleye fishing. The fact that there is about 1/25 the people to me what makes it the best but if you are looking for a party bar scene when you get done fishing or some great places to eat you better stay on the south end of LOTW.

Thanks for the honest info Jim.

This trip for us would be right after Christmas. How's the fishing up there generally at that time? Is crossing the border a pain? I'm guessing a passport is ideal...but I know my dad will not get one...will birth certificate/driver's lic. still work?

Can you recommend a good place to stay up there?

When we went thru last year we had no problem at all but there was just the 2 of us and we both had passports. You will want to find out what it will take to get thru and if anyone in your party has a DWI on there record in the last 10 years they should stay home cause they will not let you in. We stay at a resort called Walsh's Bay Store Camp and it is on Oak Island. Frank and Laura are really nice people. They will take you out to your Ice house in a bomber but the nice part is that the ride will be maybe 10 to 15 min. vs the south end where it could be 45 min. As of right now the birth cert. and a drivers lic. will work but after the 1st of the year who knows. If there is a warm winter and it takes a while for ice to form it might cause some problems making ice out to the island cause that is the road for everyone and you might have to be picked up with sleds and leave you trucks on shore( big pain). From shore it is 6 miles to the island and you drive right up to your cabin.

I will concur with jimalm's comments.

We also like to stay at Baystore. Wonderful hosts, and nice short bomber rides.

I have fished the angle in December, but that was back when we stayed on the mainland.

We fish in our portables almost exclusively. In 2007, they had a big dumping of snow, and we did not want to trash our gear hauling it around in all that slush. We rented Frank's houses, and we just killed. 44 inch pike, and waleyes that measured 23, 24, 24.5, 26, 27, 28, and 29.5 in three days of fishing. This was in early March.

This March's trip was back in portables. We did not hit the big eyes as much, but we still got several between 22 and 26. One 42 inch pike was caught.

LOL...well I think we are going to give URL a try. I did a list of pro's and con's and URL was the winner. If anything...it's something different. If we don't get into them...chalk it up to a fun trip regardless. Thanks for the posts guys.