• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Rods

Just traded in my bass boat with a 2-stroke for a Crestliner with a new Mercury 115 4-stroke. I've never trolled before (just casted my arm off) but now that I've hit the big 5-0 I think my arm is ready for some time off and I plan to try some trolling. I've already invested in a couple scotty rod holders for the boat, but was wondering if I could get some recommendations on the best rods for the job:

1) I'm guessing I should go with at least 7-footers to make the turns easier to handle.

2) On action, does everybody go with the heaviest they've got or would a medium-heavy action be ok or better?

We'll be going for big pike north of the border in late September, any other tips on the trolling game would be greatly appreciated.

If you are using braid as your line think 8ft and MH glass rods. Ugly sticks work great and you can use the savings for the reels. You could also go with MH weight rods like a St Croix Premier or Shimano Compre. Just remember to use a 10ft or so mono leader for a shock absorber. If you elect to use mono go with the MH St Croix or Shimano rods. If you have the $$$ St Croix Tidemasters or Shimano Taloras are great trolling rods.

Go to Limit Creek Rods and look up the Medium-Heavy Power Casting Rod. Best rod out there I've used for trolling with lead or power pro for $70. Great action, you fell every bight. Give Turk and email and let him know what you wanna use it for. He's awesome to deal with.