• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I got a huntin' dog...

MinnesotaMongo

I've been working with my 11 month old Springer from Sand Creek Springers for awhile now - obedience, basic retrieves, quartering, retrieving pigeons, etc and he's been doing great. I train with the trial guys up at Sand Creek - and we've recently introduced him to the gun over the past 2-3 weeks - he hasn't flinched. So tonight was the night - we planted some pigeons - he quartered really nice - we flushed and shot pigeons over him - and at the end the guys said "You got yourself a huntin' dog."

Let me tell you - those were some sweet words to hear.

Since this was my first dog I've ever trained - it was quite the experience. I know to most of you guys this is old hat - but it was really fun to see all that training come together like this - the quartering, flushing, retrieving, etc. I thought I would share this with all the other rookies out there who are working their pups.

Now comes the hard stuff - steadying, etc. But I know that will come together with time and effort. Today was just a monumental day for me. Maybe I'm too sentimental - but it was pretty cool in my book to see the dog become what he was meant to be.

I can't wait for the fall.

Hey congrats. I was wondering how yours was doing, I know you got yours right around the same time as me. Like september. Mine is up at pine shadows right now training, they are introducing her to the gun and all that fun stuff too. I haven't seen her in action yet, but am really excited.

Congrats on the accomplishment. Don't kid yourself, whether it is the 1st or the 50th dog you train, it is always a great feeling when you see for the first time what your efforts have accomplished and it is exactly what you invisioned. The thought that you will have a well trained hunting buddy for a long time. It never gets old. Enjoy your accomplishments. You deserve it.

Nice. I bought all those Pine Shadows DVD's last fall - to get me into the lingo, etc. They are really great.

I'm very fortunate to only be about 30 minutes from a nice training group - one of the guys had the National Champion in 2004 - so there's a lot of experience up there.

Plus - many of them bring really outstanding beer after the training....

Yeah I wish I was a little closer so I could do something like you got going on. I didn't really want to pay the amount of money I am for two months of training, but it's my first dog, and didn't want to screw her up. So you must be about as pumped as I am for the hunting season?

Absolutely Jimmy. My son already has our trips mapped out for the fall. LOL

My 14 yr old son got to run him on our second training run - and he did really well with him. In the first run, Bill Boeckmann, the breeder, was behind me and told me to stop using the whistle so much - and he did much better.

I think next week - I'll let my son run the dog for both sessions - I think he has knack for it and it's just good for him to do this stuff.

The only thing is - now I have to go out and buy and O/U. You know those trial guys - I think they might laugh if I brought out my cornsheller....

The people up at Pine Shadows are really great. I've talked to them on the phone a couple times and they are eager to help out. Don't you have to go up soon, and be trained with your dog? That sounds like a great experience as well..

I agree! It matters not that this is your 1st or 50th dog that you trained... the taste is always sweet!

Good job getting your dog to the point he is at. It is a great accomplishment. A skilled training group lik eyou have is paramount if you are unsure of your training abilities... a skilled trainer will also get your dog to this level. Too many guys get a dog and teach them "sit", throw a couple of bumpers during the summer and come October, berate them for not doing a bang up job in the field...

There are few finer things in life than watching a young bird dog or a young son, do what has been bred down in them and continue oin the lines of hunter.

Have a great fall and keep us posted as you further the training.

Good Luck!

Ken

Yeah she has been gone five weeks. So I will be heading up there in like two to three weeks to be trained myself. I am really excited to see what she has learned. I guess she has some problems finishing retrieves, so they are working on some table work with her, making sure that she holds on to the bird. I guess she quarters, finds birds, and hasn't had any difficulty with the gun. So thats a plus. Keep me posted on how your dog does this fall!!

Maynard had some problems spitting birds too. I did some table work (actually - more like at the end of my truck box) - we worked on "hold". The other thing that helped me was standing up straight. I'm a large guy and Maynard is not aggressive at all. I would reach down and Maynard would "spit" the bird, bumper, etc. We were out in the field and one of the guys said "Stand up and shut up" - and bang - he hupped and handed me the bird. I guess you just got to figure out the dog.

The yard work - the basic obedience - has been the largest part of my work. I train in the fields with birds about 1x a week - and he seems to do really well out there. We'll see how steadying goes...

Last night the guys were giving me grief about talking to my dog so much. "You must of said "Maynard" 37 times on that retrieve." It's as much about training me as training the dog, I guess. LOL