• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallies

leechmann

I am fishing with my son this weekend in a muti-species fishing tourney. We were prefishing all day. I have located several spots were smallies are hanging on the edge of rock piles and sand bars. There are alot of very nice size fish, say 2 to 4 pounds in these areas. I have caught a couple of fish on a spinnerbait, however most fish seem to be very negative. I have tried jig worms, crayfish rattle traps, texas rigged plastic worms. Live leeches, minnows. Anyone have a little trick or suggestion? I am at a loss.

Use wacky rig senkos. Usually 4 or 5 inchers work great, but some times they work better if you bite a 5 inch one in half. Generally watermelon or some natural color work best for me. Since you know the spots make the longest casts you can and avoid getting close to the fish. Spooking shallow smallies can turn very aggressive fish into very timid fish very quickly. As a last resort bring a bobber rod for leechs, long casts and patience will catch even the most stubborn fish. These two tatics work for me when just about nothing else will.

Good Luck, jjz

Yah, just hook in middle with a hook of the right size. (pays to have a variety of hooks because sometimes a certain drop speed makes a differance) Just let them fall on a slack line and watch, once on the bottom lift and repeat. Senkos can also be fished real fast like a jerkbait or topwater, when rigged weedless. If weeds are a problem texas rig um (minus the sinker.

Cast them out and just let it sink. No sinkers necessary unless you're fishing really deep. The weight of the plastic is enough. As they fall faster, the ends start moving around.

Get some 2/0 wide gap finesse hooks and try out the Yum 4" dingers in green pumpkin/purple fleck. Just hook it right through the middle and cast over the top of them. Just a heads up, if there' panfish around, they will mess with it alot.