• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dark clouds

I am a huge wimp when it comes to storms so when I took these pictures I was kinda in a hurry. The camera was on auto everything and I didnt do anything to the images (except the first one). What would have been the correct way to take these?

Begining of the storm

IMG_2070_edited-1.jpg

About a minute later

IMG_2077.jpg

It was fast moving, this was about 2 minutes later. When I took this last one it had just started raining, how could I have made this better.

IMG_2081.jpg

Nasty looking weather! I agree with Ken on the slight overexposure. When it begins to get dark that is the time to crank up the ISO.

In the last shot a faster shutter speed would have given you raindrops that were not blurred....unless that was the look you wanted.

If you use the camera in Av, you only have to adjust the aperture which for this scenario you could just keep fixed at say f5.6 or f8 somewhere in there. Now as the shutter speed begins to drop as it gets darker just increase your ISO to keep that shutter speed up. Keep in mind this is just one way to do this, but it makes for fairly easy adjustments with not much dial twisting. smile

Did your flash go off, it looks like it did? In P mode the camera will do what it must to take the photo including firing the flash. That is one of the reasons to take a little control over what your camera is doing by switching to Av. smile

It really is a learning process isn't it? You are doing a great job and as your confidence increases your thought process on what to do will expand as well.

yep. I was at the door had the house lights, outside lights and the flash. I know it was to much but I was in such a hurry, you know, its the wuss factor eek

LOL, common sense would be more like it from the looks of those clouds!