• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camper battery charging

merganser

Question

I should probably post this in the camping area but.... Does the deep cycle battery keep charging whenever the camper is plugged in and the battery is connected, or is there some kind of regulater that keeps the deep cycle from over charging. I am wondering if I need to unhook the battery when it is fully charged or if I can just leave it hooked up. I am assuming the hv converter is what is charging the battery. It is a 19ft r-vision trail light bantam 2001 if that helps any.

5 answers to this question

I thought my Forest River 28 footer had some kind of automatic charging system. But now that you mention it, it could be just a trickle or low amp type system. I've never disconnected them , except for winter storage. I've had the same battery in the RV hooked up for 3+ months before.

I usually swap deep cycles between the boat and camper because they are always automatically charged by the camper.

The converter is a trickle charger for the battery, when the camper is hooked to a tow veicle the battery is charged by the veicle thru the wiring harness. When the camper is unhooked from the veicle and not pluged in to 110 volts there is battery draw from the CO sencer and radio. This is how my camper is set up.

good point, but that would be the propane leak detector which will

take the battery down in a week or less if the trailer isnt

plugged in. so what i told my customers if you were gonna leave it

sit for a while, disconnect the battery. i misunderstood the question on the origional post...

randy

Randy, actually you read between the lines and answered my question. I was wondering if I had the camper plugged in so my refer. would stay cold, if it would over charge the battery at that time.... I guess as long as I make sure the electolyte levels are good, I should have no problems. Thanks to everyone for all of the responses.