Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Prop pitch problem?

10 posts in this topic

I have a 175 Suzuki on the back of my 185 trophy -- and it does not pull me out of the water on two skis!

I know I should cut out the Big Macs but at 235 pounds -- it should, shouldn't it?

I am running a stainless 3 x 15.5 R19 prop. I asked the dealer if I should pout on a 4 blade prop and he said no -- the manufacturer does not suggest it.

The trim may have been way down, that could make a difference to I guess.

Any thoughts?

It should get me out on two skis, right?

Yes, you should be able to get up easily even with that pitch prop. I know it is a big boat, but you got a 175 H.P. on it. I can get up behind my bass boat with a 150 H.P. with a 24 pitch prop on one ski. I pop right up on two. I even got up behind a 50 H.P. Ranger tiller on two and behind a 40 H.P. pontoon. Something is not right. You could try dropping to a 17 pitch or even 15 pitch for skiing situations, but I do not think you should have to with that big of motor.

I agree. That thing should pop you out pretty dang easy. Something isn't right.

Are you sure it's the boat? wink... Sorry man I had too.

That should pull you no problem

I am guessing you have a 4-stroke... My brother has same boat with a 150 or 175 yamaha and has the same problem (I'm like 260).

he went to a 15 and works great now.

If this is a four stroke 175 you should be swinging a much larger prop. Something in the 23 to 25 pitch area. The Suzi 4 strokes have very deep gears and need bigger props.

Now if this is a 2 stroker try the 17 pitch.

What are you turning for RPM at WOT? I agree that this should be able to get you up and out of the hole with a 19, and that typically you would need a larger pitch prop (like Black bay said) for this motor given your combination - a 21 or 23.. 25 might be a bit much.

Did you have the motor trimmed down all the way prior to going to full throttle?

marine_man

marine --

That I need to check -- may not have been trimmed up enough.

I also think it should work, but has not.

thanks to everyone -- will report info after braving the COLD water. wink

may not have been trimmed up enough.

Trimmed Down - trimming it up prior to holeshot would make it worse.

marine_man

Yeah, trim it all the way down when you take off, then you can raise it a bit once you're up and out of the water.