• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

100% Deet Bug Spray.

tjbassmaster

Question

Does 100% deet bug spray really work better and last longer then other bug sprays?

I have heard from friends that said they just sprayed a little on there close and they didn't have a misquetoe on them for 2 whole days!

But I am not to sure about that so I wanted to check with so more reliable sources.

18 answers to this question

I have never seen it in a spray but have seen it in roll on. You dont want it on your skin or on your face so I dont see what good it is. I have had good luck with 29 percent deet. For biting flies you will need either Avons skin so soft or offs skin tastic sun screen cream.

Years ago I had a can of the Amway bug spray that was supposedly 100% Deet. The stuff felt like it was actually burning your skin after spraying it on. I don't know if it was really 100% Deet, but I quit using it after experiencing the burning sensation!

Irvingdog is right on the money here. Nothing more than marketing hype to double the cost of their product. 32.5% is at max. effectiveness---anything higher is just nonsense.

eh, just man up and deal with em wink

I just usually wear long pants and shirt and a hat. My .02 is I'd rather deal with some bugs than put some nasty smelling potentially toxic bug juice on my skin. Though I did wear Off! the other day (first time in 12 or 15 years I wore bug repellent) and it seemed to work some

3M Ultrathon, when you can find it. It is in a bright yellow can, this is the stuff that for the first 5-10 years it was made you couldnt find it cuz the military bought it all up. Works like a charm and doesnt stink like other bug sprays do

I have a bottle of the 100% in my tackle box. I have never used it, but after reading this I may try to mix it with some good lotion and see how that works. Something like 1 part DEET to 2 parts lotion??? Worth a shot I suppose.

I remember years ago my uncle got a box of personal sized bottles. Everyone stopped using it because it's toxic. We found the box sometime later and the DEET had eaten holes through the plastic and soaked into the box! I'd recommend 3M Ultrathon, it seems to work and like mentioned you hardly even know you've put it on.

I use Maxi DEET, which is 100% deet. Me and my buddies use it a lot while out in the field on maneuvers, especially up at Camp Ripley, but if you use it, no bugs will come close to you. If your gonna use it, spray it on your clothes and use a weaker bug spray on your skin.