• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats everyone doing on the offseason

Just curious what everyone else does in the offseason to prepare to hunt predators next fall?

I personally do some coyote control in the summer, only when needed by a farmer/rancher. I like to put in alot of trigger time in to stay familiar with my rifle. I am purchasing a new rifle this week so I am going to spend alot of time breaking it in, sighting it in, and finding the right load for it. I am purchasing new traps, and preparing the old for next season. Also preparing new stretchers, fleshing beams, and sharping knives. I like to spend a lot of time in front of my maps,going over the spots that produced and finding new spots to try for next year. Anyone else locating coyotes this time of the year?? Its the perfect time to locate coyotes, 80% of the time they will be there for next fall.

Whats everyone else doing?

Well a little of the same as you. Along with some beaver control work, gopher trapping, wishing for next year and planning on what I want/need for next years fun. Little walleye fishing, to bad my week on is the nice week. Oh well. Did have a trail cam out for a week, got some pics, but no biggens.

Curious on where you trap. It seems you go west for the coyotes, but i didn't think nonres could trap in NDak. We have the crappy coyotes here compared to those.

I also need to put a deer load together for my 243. I am thinking on how I plan to put my trapline together for this fall. Might start a short line for coyotes maybe 20-30 traps in one direction for coyotes before the real opener of trapping. Need to figure it all out before the fall rush.

Curious on where you trap. It seems you go west for the coyotes, but i didn't think nonres could trap in NDak. We have the crappy coyotes here compared to those.

I do most of my trapping here in MN and I do all my weekend calling out west in ND! I love those pales coyotes in the Dakotas, and Montana. This is definetly the time to prepare traps and get them ready for the fall. I thinking about purchasing another couple dozen traps, so I can extend my traps lines.

I have been burning up alot of ammo with my new .223 to see what load shoots the best. I really like this rifle and believe that I can hit about anything at any range with it.

Look out whatever I'm shooting at.

I am busy trying to get things done and build up "release time" points with the commander and chief. I should get back into reloading and try some new loads. I picked up some Barnes varmint grenades for 243 and 223. I have heard different opinions on their usefullness on coyotes. I have my tried and true vmax loads I can always fall back on. Harvey Lee, what kind of 223 did you pick up and what has been your best loads so far? Every time I go to Gander MT. I cringe when I see the prices of ammo, even for the 223. I am so glad I got my reloading stuff.......