Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machohorn

What to buy

7 posts in this topic

I need a recomendation. I am looking at getting a new camera, however I also want some thingthat I can add/change lenses. After looking at all your wonderful pictures day after day I want to get back into this hobby. I now have a pocket Canon point and shoot digital. I am looking to up grade in a camera in the $600.00 range ( lenses extra) I use to shoot a Minolta X70 a. Please recomend me to a good camera that is easy to use but will give me room to expand and grow.P.S. I do like the Canon lines

Thanks

You can get a Canon XT close to that price and it will probably come with a lens as well. Thats the camera I use and I am happy with it. I am not sure what they Canon XSi is going for but its the newer version so you might want to look into that as well. Steve explains the differences is a post below, you might want to check that out.

machohorn, the Canon Digital Rebel XTi has come way down in price now that the new XSi has come out. The XTi is an excellent 10 Mp DSLR that will deliver great image quality, and I'm pretty sure a couple folks on this board use them.

The price at Canoga Camera, where I do all my online photography gear buying, is $529.

If you're using a compact flash style card in your point and shoot you'll be good to go. If not, you'll need to buy a CF style card. But memory card prices have come down so far that you can get a great 2 Gb card for about $25.

As for lenses, what is your lens price range and what types of photography do you want to do? Lenses can run a LOT of money, although of course one can start slow and decide whether they want to upgrade lenses as time goes on.

Steve, actually I want all and every option with lenses, but reality ( wifey) sets in and mentions bugets. What I would like is a telephoto and the other side something for close up, portraits of grand kids social gatherings etc. Also because I am photo challenged some call it telephoto some say zoom. same or different?

Telephoto is a lens that is longer in focal length. You can have a fixed focal length telephoto (300/2.8) and a zoom telephoto which will give you a range of focal length (100-400mm). A zoom lens is one in which you can change the focal length, it can be a wide zoom like a 10-22mm or longer like a 50-500mm.

Sure wish there was a lens that was a perfect do all but it has yet to be made. Start with the lens that comes with the camera and use it for a bit. As you become more familiar with the camera and how you will use it you can begin to explore other options. Good luck with your search.

I bought my Canon 10D off of hsolist, delivered to my door for approximately $300.00, it was the L series lenses that took a major chomp out of my bill fold!

I bought a 17-40, the 70-200 IS and this past week I bought the 100-400 IS. In time I plan to purchase one more camera, the 30D. It only makes sense to have a 2nd camera in which case my 10D will then act as a back up.

I shot this yesterday with my 100-400 mounted on the 10D. You decide weather or not the outdated 10D still has what it takes to get the job done.

267_6740-1.jpg

Now thats what I'm talkin about!