• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 OptiMax Break-in??

GudeMN

I take delivery of my new boat Friday after being on the bench for about 3 years. Had a couple of kids and now it's go time. I need some insight on the break-in period. I understand the need to vary my speed within a certain RPM range and to take it to wide open throttle for 10 seconds at a time etc. I keep hearing/reading that Optis like to be run hard and to push'em through the break-in, no babying. What I want is some input on is how hard is hard? It's such a relative term. Totally depends on who you ask.

How often should I or can I take it to WOT in that first hour? Give me some ideas of what to do and what not to do.

The maiden voyage will be Friday afternoon in Alexandria. Crestliner Sportfish 1950 SST. Blue. I'll be the guy with the big smile on my face grin

Any responses will be appreciated.

This is right off of Merc's HSOforum:

What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?

Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period. Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine.

One thing my dealer told me to do was to keep the motor trimmed in to make it work harder. They stated it'll help seat everything better, and prevent excessive oil consumption later on.

Good luck and congrats on the new boat!

I'd follow Merc's guidelines, as posted above, during the break-in. If you don't and something breaks they'll take a look at the onboard computer to see where you've been operating and may not cover the failure under warranty.

marine_man

With Optis (or any DFI motor) it's important to let them get all the way warmed up before you run them hard. That's about 150 degrees on the thermostat.

I'd say follow the owners manual, and make sure you're varying the throttle a lot, especially in the 1st 2 hours and even in the first 10.

When we broke in our 150 Opti a few months ago, the dealer told us to make sure we break it in "hot" and run it hard as that will benefit the motor in the long run...very reputable dealer in the state. We followed the directions from the book to a T and didn't regret it besides the fact the day we broke in the boat was 50 degrees. Make sure you keep changing speeds every few minutes also and find a large lake. To get them warmed up, the same dealer/mechanic told us all you'd need for a warm up is 60 seconds and they've really changed the Optimax technology the past few years. Ours starts when it's off the trailer and runs while the truck parks, load everyone up and roll. Obviously don't just put the hammer down, but you can slowly build up to top speed pretty quick.

you can slowly build up to top speed pretty quick.

I watch my temp gauge and try to let my Opti get up to 150 degrees before I start to give it any throttle. I've never timed it but you're probably right when you say 60 seconds. But as soon as you give it any throttle the temp starts dropping. For your best shot at a trouble-free long life with a DFI motor, warm it up before you give it throttle.

My Monitor (small digital display) is mounted on my dash amidst my gauges. There are 5-10 functions that it displays, temperature is one of them.

My motor is an '06 that I got in '05. At that time the Smartcraft Monitor was included with Verados and that was the first year they were included with Optis (previously it was an option you could pay for). I'm 99.9% positive it was done by Mercury, not by Ranger, and I'm sure I read about it on the Mercury HSOforum at that time.

I just browsed through the site now and don't see anything that says it's included now, so maybe they only did it for a year or two??? It's something that can be added whenever you want, as long as you want to pay for it.

it all depends on how the dealer is ordering the boats. You have to remember, there not free, there going to cost some money, but people that are buying the boat with them in it, think there free. There a great product, and i think everyone should be there, but can you really do that, im not sure.

Awesome product, and your going to love that 200 optimax.

Ours is an 07 and nothing...it is on a 07 Crestliner FishHawk 1850. There is nothing on the console...is there a temp gauge elsewhere?

I had an 04 1850 W/150 Opti. The Smartcraft System Monitor was mounted on the side, next to the throttle control. Odd place to be mounted. The only way you could see it was to get out of the seat and get on you knees to look at it.