• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 OptiMax Break-in??

GudeMN

I take delivery of my new boat Friday after being on the bench for about 3 years. Had a couple of kids and now it's go time. I need some insight on the break-in period. I understand the need to vary my speed within a certain RPM range and to take it to wide open throttle for 10 seconds at a time etc. I keep hearing/reading that Optis like to be run hard and to push'em through the break-in, no babying. What I want is some input on is how hard is hard? It's such a relative term. Totally depends on who you ask.

How often should I or can I take it to WOT in that first hour? Give me some ideas of what to do and what not to do.

The maiden voyage will be Friday afternoon in Alexandria. Crestliner Sportfish 1950 SST. Blue. I'll be the guy with the big smile on my face grin

Any responses will be appreciated.

My best advice is to read your owners manual when you get it. Another thing is to keep the motor trimed down all the time except when in shallow water obviously. That will make the outboard work a little harder.

This is from the Mercury web site:

What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?

Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period.

Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine.

I see that I gave the same info as someone else in the boat thread. great minds I guess. Good luck with the boat.

I just bought a new 2008 Tracker with a 90 HP Merc on it. For my break in, for the first hour I can not go to WOT, and I should not let it idle for any more than 2 minutes. I am also supposed to mix my first tank of gas with a 50:1 mixture, and also make sure my oil resoivor is full.

My first maiden voyage will be tomorrow afternoon on East Spirit, so if you see a guy out there in a 2008 17-WT with a big smile on his face and a Golden Retriever with a tail flapping in the breeze, that would be me!

Hope this helps!

I ran a 200 opti a few year back and the dealer to me to run it hard during breakin, I did and it blew up 3 times during the season. Needless to say I stayed away from them for a few years. Last year I went to buy a 135 e-tech for one of my boats (my 225 e-tech is awesome), but they couldn't get one in time for when I needed it. They had a 135 opti I had to take it, because I needed the boat on the water. They told me the same thing run it hard during breakin, I did and it has been a great motor the past two seasons.

I guess break it in however you want to, if it blows you have warranty.

I'd follow Merc's reccomendations.

These motors have a on-board computer that tracks RPM and time at RPM. If you blow it up in the warranty period and they find that you didn't follow the reccomended procedure you may be footing the repair bill on your own.

marine_man