• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunburn! How to speed the recovery...

Redbeard5289

Hey Guys

Need so help and advice on this one.

Was out volunteering today for the KTTC Flood Relief Drive that happened today at all 3 HyVee Locations in Rochester. I was under a canopy most of the time and thought I was safe from good ol' mister sun. But looking at my arms tonight you think I boiled a lobster by thrusting my whole arm in the pot. Its not severe so no need to rush to the hospital or anything like that. I am a redhead so I have had my fair share of sunburns growing up.

I am looking info on what products you all have tried and like that will speed the recovery of a sunburn.

Any recommendations??

Thanks for the input,

Redbeard5289

I forgot the name but i bet some one will know, the green gell stuff? Sorry I forgot but i bet others will know what im tlking about.

i have something like that in the cupboard. i will find out the name of it in the morning

My wife sells this Daisy Blue stuff that comes in a spray. Daisy Blue is a line of all natural beauty products. Trust me, I am not just putting out free advertising. I was very skeptical of her selling this stuff as I thought it was a pyramid scheme but the more products I try (not very willingly mind you) the more I like it. The after sun spray is awesome. It has aloe vera in it along with peppermint to help cool your skin. I spent 14 hours out fishing two weekends ago without using any sunscreen. I should have been in much pain and peeling like crazy. I really felt no pain using this stuff and I did not peel. Check it out. You might be surprised.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I spent an hour tearing the bathroom apart looking for some Aloe Vera Gel last night only to have my wife tell me she threw it out cause the bottle was dusty from not being used. She figured I didn't used it anymore and got a little too excited with the spring cleaning...

Ended up using some moisturizing lotion that the wife had on hand. Not the greatest thing I ever used plus the cranberry/lotus blossom scent was a bit nauseating. They should really have some manly scents available.

Will try and find something better during my lunch hour today.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions...

Redbeard

Air,

Now you got me curious. How much vinegar do you add to the bath water. The aloe vera stuff was a no brainer. I had a choice of going with the green jelly stuff but chose the blue jelly stuff because it had a painkiller built in to relieve the sting of sunburn, pretty cool!

Windy

I knew I smelled something fruity wink.. I hope you don't catch heck at work smelling like that, I would ..I agree though, something with a little more manly smell would be awsome. I won't touch anything my wife has in the cupboard. I would use bug spray first.

I spent 8 days in the burn unit (long story but funny now) when they sent me home the gave me a cream that was called "Silvedine" (bad speller?) any way that stuff is great. My daughter rested her arm in a hot weber when she was 4. we put some on asap and she never even blistered. you can only get it through a doc. but if I ever burn sun or other wise bad I am going to beg for more!

Aloe Vera and drink a lot of water. Take a aspirin or 2 for pain if needed. If you are lucky enough to have some left over Silvadine that stuff is awesome.

Most important is to get out of the sun and drink a lot of water.

Somebody told me that to help stop the burning process once out of the sun, you need to take a cold shower. Your skin will continue to burn for a while until the cold water is applied. I think they make aloe with a mild pain killer in them now. My grandma used to put noxema on me back when I was a kid when I got sunburned. Might be worth a try if there is some around.

Originally Posted By: vexilarman
I forgot the name but i bet some one will know, the green gell stuff? Sorry I forgot but i bet others will know what im tlking about.

i have something like that in the cupboard. i will find out the name of it in the morning

Um, Lime Jello?

My sister-in-law works at Shopko and gave me some Blue Aloe Vera gel that contained Lidocaine to put on my sunburn. It works pretty good. Must be working since I don't feel the sunburn generating any warmth anymore.

I'll have to remember the vinegar thing for next time. Sounds like a good treatment. Rochesterfest is coming up next week so I am sure I will be outside for that.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will put all into effect this summer, guaranteed!

Redbeard