• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for Walleye on the grill recipe

A friend is getting married with a very small ceremony and I'm the cookie amoung other things. We are all eating picnic style(burgers, brats, etc) except the minister who wants walleye.

Anybody got any suggestions for walleye on the grill, it has no skin on so it would probably be done in foil.

Any help would be appreciated.

Coat tinfoil with butter and olive oil. Season fillet with Salt, Pepper and Old Bay. Put a couple pats of butter on top and close tinfoil. Cook on medium heat about 5 to 7 minutes. Open the foil the last minute to let out steam and brown the fillet.

I saw one the other day that was with salmon, but was thinking walleye would be just fine. Took a filet, brushed with butter and coated with some cajun seasonings and put in (on)foil. On top of the walleye, prior to sealing the foil, he put some uncooked crab meat, then finished it off with shrimp on top of the crab. More butter on top of the shrimp, and crab I believe plus more cajun seasoning. Finished sealing the foil and threw on the grill. Three or so minutes a side??? Looked pretty tasty.

Walleye in foil on the grill is easy, fast, and healthy. You can make it as simple as butter and seasoning salt.

Get a basket like you'd use to grill and flip 9 hamburgers at once. Take walleye fillets and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning (just a little). Place on grill flip cage with fillets once grill other side and serve.

I use jerkbait's method very often a couple of things I would add would be a couple of slice's of lemon and some Italain Dressing.

You can add about any thing you like one of my kids likes to put orange slices on hers.

Sifty

The flip cage is nice because it'll make it quicker to flip them over but it isn't necessary.

Season the fillets as desired (cajun, season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried lemon, salt, pepper, whatever) and lay them directly on the hot grill for about a minute per side or until done.

Bob

If you use the tinfoil method and add some butter on top (to your liking), just about any spice will taste good. Lowry's Seasoned Salt is always good, cajun seasonings, lemon pepper, dill, etc. The spice combinations are endless. The best thing to do is try putting your favorite spice on there and try it a few times before hand.

My vote goes to just taking a cake pan and put bunch of butter in the bottom and throw the walleyes in there with some salt, pepper, maybe a little garlic and cook it for about 5-8 mins till its done and then get the heck out of the way! The people will be swarming the grill like buzzards!! No need to make it complicated with grilled walleye, the seasonings just cover the already delicious treat!!! Have Fun!

Lately when I've cooked fish on the grill, I've been making blackened walleye/crappie/bluegills/whatever. It's pretty easy, and really good (but a bit on the spicy side). You crank the grill to it's highest setting, put a cast iron skillet on the grates, close the lid, and let the skillet get very hot. DO NOT add butter or oil to the pan. While the skillet is warming up, coat the fillet in butter, then coat with blackened fish seasoning. I use Zataran's brand, but I'm sure others would work. After the skillet is good and hot, add the fillets to the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness), flip, cook for another 1-2 minutes, and remove.

Do not try cooking this on your stovetop in the house, the smoke will be unbearable.

I've had really good luck using grill planks, just like you would to make salmon or trout. Last time I salt and peppered both sides of the fillets, made a mustard vinagrette (juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbls dijon mustard, 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon and 2-3 tbls EV olive oil) and spooned it on top while laying on alder wood planks. Grill indirectly for about 10-15 minutes with the lid on and you're good to go.

For just a slight version of some methods described above, I take tin foil, lay down the fillets 1/2 thick (any fish will do), season them with salt and lemon pepper seasoning, add some lemon slices (thin), add some onion slices (thin) and add either a partial can of drained petite diced tomatoes (I prefer the Red Gold mix of tomatoes, onion and olive oil) or add a partial jar of your favorite salsa mix. Seal up good with multiple layers of tin foil (so nothing leaks) and grill each side (works for shore lunches over an open fire) for approx 7 minutes. Open up, use a spatula to dish out on a plate and garnish the mix with some Franks Red Hot Sauce and/or tarter sauce. Ohhhh Boy.