• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another whinning dog question? and photos!

DuluthMedic

I've got a choco lab 10 months and he rarely barks. He whines ALOT! His mother died at birth and was then bottle fed. I'm wondering if he's got some seperation problems. He doesn't whine in his crate unless he's gotta go pee or eat. Any ideas how to get him to stop?..or just young yet. Just thought you guys would like to see a few pics of my best friend!..(next to wife of course)

P5300094-1.jpg

P5310137.jpg

Good luck I got a yellow lab and he wines in the boat or over somewhere other than our house hes 10 years old and I have not got it out of him yet. You can't beat it out of him either.

It's a long haul to break a dog of a whining habit. Teach him the 'quiet' command. Command 'no' and 'quiet' when he begins to whine. Praise him when he quiets down. Try and calm him if he is whining. It's a toughey! Many dogs are strung a little higher and the whining tends to come naturally to higher strung dogs.

Good Luck!

Ken

Many dogs are strung a little higher and the whining tends to come naturally to higher strung dogs.

No kidding!! I was at the lake with a buddy last night working on my dogs breaking (never fully resolved this issue). My buddy would throw a bumper into the lake and send his dog for the retrieve while mine was forced to sit and watch. I think half the people at the park thought I was shocking/abusing the dog because he's so vocal. He is going to be very tough to break of the breaking habit......and I know the vocal issue will never go away. If there's a bumper thrown he is just lit up....fun to have a dog with drive like that but hard to control!

I hear you too. My GSP whom I just lost to the road whined like there was no tomorrow, and "high strung" doesn't even beging to explain him!!

I will tell you this. After having him from 6 weeks old to just over 10 years old, and loosing him to the highway, I sincerely miss the whining. Couldn't stand it when he was here, but now...................... hind sight is always 20/20, they are just trying to communicate to us the only way they know how. I never punished my bud for whining, but really, really wish he would have stopped.

If I could have him back, I'd take the whining 3 fold....o.k., maybe 2 fold, but I'd definetly take it back!!!

My yellow lab is 10yrs old now and really slowing down. You put her in the boat and go duck hunting and oh my god does she whine. I had to install a dog dock off the back of the duck boat. After I sit her on that she stops whining. Her biggest thing is being able to see. If she can't see or be with me when I am in the deks she is whining. Actually I would more or less call it a high pitched scream. Wouldn't trade her for anything tho...best dog I have ever had...will be hard to replace. Good luck!

one thing i have seen work, is put the dog on a lead and sit in a holding blind with him, while others run marks. if he starts to whine, use one of the big flimsy whiffle ball bats. this is a trick i learned from a pro for helping with issues that you need to be physical with the dog on. the bat will not hurt him, it will fold before it can hurt the dog, but its big, menacing and makes a lot of noise.

so, instead of the heeling stick, try the bat next time.

one thing i have seen work, is put the dog on a lead and sit in a holding blind with him, while others run marks. if he starts to whine, use one of the big flimsy whiffle ball bats. this is a trick i learned from a pro for helping with issues that you need to be physical with the dog on. the bat will not hurt him, it will fold before it can hurt the dog, but its big, menacing and makes a lot of noise.

so, instead of the heeling stick, try the bat next time.

I would assume that the bat is used directly after a command such as quiet or sit.....so the dog knows what is being asked of it.

The wiffle bat also works great to reinforce sit!