Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moe Szyslak

Bush to Congress: Embrace energy exploration now

78 posts in this topic

Bush to Congress: Embrace energy exploration now

Wednesday June 18, 11:37 am ET

By H. Josef Hebert, Associated Press Writer

With gas prices reaching record highs, Bush wants Congress to lift ban on offshore drilling

WASHINGTON (AP) -- With gasoline topping $4 a gallon, President Bush urged Congress on Wednesday to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling, saying the United States needs to increase its energy production. Democrats quickly rejected the idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There is no excuse for delay," the president said in a statement in the Rose Garden. With the presidential election just months away, Bush made a pointed attack on Democrats, accusing them of obstructing his energy proposals and blaming them for high gasoline costs. His proposal echoed a call by Republican presidential candidate John McCain to open the Continental Shelf for exploration

"Families across the country are looking to Washington for a response," Bush said.

Congressional Democrats were quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have 68 million acres offshore waters under lease that are not being developed.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Bush's proposals "another page from (an)... energy policy that was literally written by the oil industry -- give away more public resources."

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee, rejected lifting the drilling moratorium that has been supported by a succession of presidents for nearly two decades.

"This is not something that's going to give consumers short-term relief and it is not a long-term solution to our problems with fossil fuels generally and oil in particular," said Obama. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, lumping Bush with McCain, accused them of staging a "cynical campaign ploy" that won't help lower energy prices.

"Despite what President Bush, John McCain and their friends in the oil industry claim, we cannot drill our way out of this problem," Reid said. "The math is simple: America has just three percent of the world's oil reserves, but Americans use a quarter of its oil."

Bush said offshore drilling could yield up to 18 billion barrels of oil over time, although it would take years for production to start. Bush also said offshore drilling would take pressure off prices over time.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision -- but the president took the position that Congress has to act first and then he would follow behind.

Asked why Bush doesn't act first and lift the ban, Keith Hennessey, the director of the president's economic council, said: "He thinks that probably the most productive way to work with this Congress is to try to do it in tandem."

Before Bush spoke, the House Appropriations Committee postponed a vote it had scheduled for Wednesday on legislation doing the opposite of what the president asked -- extending Congress' ban on offshore drilling. Lawmakers said they wanted to focus on a disaster relief bill for the battered Midwest.

Bush also proposed opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling, lifting restrictions on oil shale leasing in the Green River Basin of Colorado, Utah and Wyoming and easing the regulatory process to expand oil refining capacity.

With Americans deeply pessimistic about the economy, Bush tried to put on the onus on Congress. He acknowledged that his new proposals would take years to have a full effect, hardly the type of news that will help drivers at the gas stations now. The White House says no quick fix exists.

Still, Bush said Congress was obstructing progress -- and directly contributing to consumers' pain at the pump.

"I know the Democratic leaders have opposed some of these policies in the past," Bush said. "Now that their opposition has helped drive gas prices to record levels, I ask them to reconsider their positions."

Bush said that if congressional leaders head home for their July 4 recess without taking action, they will need to explain why "$4 a gallon gasoline is not enough incentive for them to act. And Americans will rightly ask how high gas prices have to rise before the Democratic-controlled Congress will do something about it."

Bush said restrictions on offshore drilling have become "outdated and counterproductive."

In a nod to the environmental arguments against drilling, Bush said technology has come a long way. These days, he said, oil exploration off the coastline can be done in a way that "is out of sight, protects coral reefs and habitats, and protects against oil spills."

Congressional Democrats, joined by some GOP lawmakers from coastal states, have opposed lifting the prohibition that has barred energy companies from waters along both the East and West coasts and in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for 27 years.

On Monday, McCain made lifting the federal ban on offshore oil and gas development a key part of his energy plan. McCain said states should be allowed to pursue energy exploration in waters near their coasts and get some of the royalty revenue.

Obama retorted that the Arizona senator had flip-flopped on that issue.

I got an email the other day. It said we sell the oil countries wheat for like $18 a bushel. How about we raise that to $80 a bushel for them? They get gas for a nickel over there why shouldn't we gauge them for wheat. Not like that can grow anything in sand anyway. Skyrocket the food and if they bring the oil down, we bring our food down. Or we get just as fat with our food as they do with their oil.

Speculators bring the oil up. The oil company does not control the price. If wheat is a commodity and specs what to drive it up, that would be sweet.

I got an email the other day. It said we sell the oil countries wheat for like $18 a bushel. How about we raise that to $80 a bushel for them? They get gas for a nickel over there why shouldn't we gauge them for wheat. Not like that can grow anything in sand anyway. Skyrocket the food and if they bring the oil down, we bring our food down. Or we get just as fat with our food as they do with their oil.

I love the thinking. Too bad we don't have a single politician with the seeds to go for something like that.

We can raise the price of our grain but we would rather give it away. This is why America always looses out.

Speculators bring the oil up. The oil company does not control the price. If wheat is a commodity and specs what to drive it up, that would be sweet.
wheat and grain prices over there are hurting them a lot more than it is here. We just dont hear about as much as oil.

Bush uses the same old tired argument The oil companies have been using for years. By his own admission we would not see any results for years. So what does he plan to do while we Waite. Nothing. While we wait the dollar goes weaker so the oil we by goes up in price because the value of the dollar doesnt by the same amount. Sounds like he is trying to secure the future for him and his oil brethren rather than fixing the present matters at hand.

It also was mentioned today the oil companies have rights to drill on a vast amount of land but they are not doing so.

It also has been stated by the head of the Information of Energy Agency the amount oil that would be supplied would only reduce the cost of oil by $1.40 a barrel(thats a barrel not a gallon).Bush and his supporters dont tell you that do they, Gee I wonder why.

ANWAR drilling would lower the price of gas 3 to 4 cents a gallon and that wouldn't happen for another ten years. The oil companies already have millions of acres of land leased to drill that they're just sitting on.

croixflats, Is there anything that is not President Bushes fault in your thinking. It must be nice to have a scapegoat for everything you feel is wrong in the world.

Are you serious? Secure the future for Bush? I think he has enough money to not worry about how much it costs to fill up his cars. What we need to do is start exploring and drilling for oil now. So it takes 5-10 years. Who cares? A lot of things take time. Building bridges, finding cures for different cancers,etc. The reason the oil companies can't start exploring their own land is the environmentl laws established in the early 70s, not the big oil is evil and looking to screw us.

And think about this. Big evil oil makes a 8 cent profit per gallon, while friendly government makes 18 cents per gallong. What makes it right for us to be taxes so much on oil, while a private company, held to the restrictions and liberaly, ganola eating policies of the far left control where we can drill, what times during the year we can even explore possible reserves, and we can't even drill of our own coast, when China, Russia, Vietnam, and many other nations are just outside of our country, doing that exact thing. Plus, the current oil exploration and techniques are far improved from the old days in the 70s.

This only proves the democrates are all talk, no solutions, and full of doom and gloom. There is enough oil on our land in the united states to keep us supplied with oil for over 400 years, but not this is really about Bush, and the big evil oil companies.

Make me sick

A bunch of people here are making it sound like we've run out of new places to drill and ANWAR's all that's left. If the oil companies really wanted to drill they could right now. But they're not. This is pure political grandstanding.

"According to the 2003 Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) report issued

by the Department of the Interior, 85 percent of federal onshore oil resources and 88 percent of federal onshore natural gas resources (122.6 trillion cubic feet, or tcf) occurring on federal lands in Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming are already available for leasing and

development."

I never said high gas prices were his fault. I just dont agree with his sollutions.

I never said high gas prices were his fault. I just dont agree with his sollutions and his reasons behind what he does

Fishorgolf, Where is it that I say its his fault. Ive been saying its the commodites market system that is the major contributer to this. I respect your opinion just because I disagree why put words in my mouth or assume something that is not there.

I started to search around for some other big companies and their profits.

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

Exxon Mobile..11.32 billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

My point is...the only reason everyone is going after oil is because it's a necessity. We need oil. Yes, the profits are large but look at the scope of an oil company. How much do you think the saudi's make in quarterly profits?? I bet far more than the american companies. And if you really dig deep you will also see that what an oil company gets off of a gallon of gas is cents, not dollars as some would believe. And do you think that they just blow all of this profit money on wine and women?? Nope, they re-invest as any smart business would do.

We need to start drilling now in places that are known to have oil. Just because they have land leased dsen't mean that's it's worth there time and expense to start drilling there. And stop blaming bush...our congress and senate have more sway than any one man or president.

We know that the oil is there. We don't know for sure if any of these "new technologies" will pan out, or if the radical enviromentalists will then find a problem with those. I hate to think of 5-10 years from now if we don't have any breakthroughs. We can kiss our hunting and fishing goodbye and go from living in this country to just existing. From what I understand there is going to be one heck of bump in natural gas prices this next heating season. Better start putting a little aside for that. We also need to start building more electric plants. We may be plugging in cars or using electricity to make hydrogen. There was one recently cancelled in SW ND that had been in the planning stages for years. They said that they really can't move forward because they don't know what CO2 regs. are going to be. I think there may even be some sentiment in congress possibly on both sides to see these high prices going into the election. So, they can point their fingers and blame the other side. Borderline treason if you ask me. Hurting the country to benefit their party.

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

My point is...the only reason everyone is going after oil is because it's a necessity. We need oil. Yes, the profits are large but look at the scope of an oil company. How much do you think the saudi's make in quarterly profits?? I bet far more than the american companies. And if you really dig deep you will also see that what an oil company gets off of a gallon of gas is cents, not dollars as some would believe. And do you think that they just blow all of this profit money on wine and women?? Nope, they re-invest as any smart business would do.

We need to start drilling now in places that are known to have oil. Just because they have land leased dsen't mean that's it's worth there time and expense to start drilling there. And stop blaming bush...our congress and senate have more sway than any one man or president.

Interesting, Three of the five companies you listed use unethical practices to generate profits. But hey, Their just tryin' to make a little cash, right?

There is nothing wrong with making as much money as you possibly can. But, when generating said profit starts to hurt your community. There is something wrong going on.

The president and congress can not fix the problem{they can help create it though, which they have}.

American citizens have to make the change.

Originally Posted By: wall_guy_101

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

Interesting, Three of the five companies you listed use unethical practices to generate profits. But hey, Their just tryin' to make a little cash, right?

There is nothing wrong with making as much money as you possibly can. But, when generating said profit starts to hurt your community. There is something wrong going on.

The president and congress can not fix the problem{they can help create it though, which they have}.

What are the "unethical practices" you are talking about ?

Originally Posted By: BID2

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

U'm I dont beleive these other companies get there profits with tax incentives and given govermant subsidies.

Unless Unless uncle Sam is helping me get off big macs.

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

Who the heck is blaming Bush, geese evertime someone disagrrees I hear all this wining about blaming Bush. Hit the needle on that phonograph player

If the US government gives the OK to the US Oil companies to drill, we will see the price of oil drop like a rock, IMHO. Oil companies have testified before congress that the true price of a barrel of oil is around $60/barrel. Speculators have driven the cost up to the $140 range. A massive increase in supply would scare the speculators right out of the market.

Too little too late. The price of oil will come down when the strength of the dollar returns after the fed starts to raise rates (which they are expected to begin doing this fall). Commodities will also fall in due time. How many years will it take for the first barrel of oil to hit a refinery? It won't happen over night.

We Americans have to change our thought pattern. I took the dog for a walk along a frontage road along Hwy. 169 at 7 AM yesterday. Over 90% of he vehicles were single occupant! Watch on your commute to work sometime.

Originally Posted By: BID2

Last Quarter

Coca Cola.. 1.78 billion

Wal-Mart.. 3.02 billion

Microsoft..11.84 Billion

McDonalds...4.82 billion

I think it's the tired excuse that Walmart comes in and takes over a town. Or that they don't pay people or that they get products out of the US. I don't make at my company what I could at other places. But I get treated great. That to me is worth a lot. I could move if I wanted to make more, so can these folks.

My thinking is that if we can build a bridge in 9-10 months, we can get some oil to the market in 3-4 years tops. The biggest factor in that is the governmental red tape. If we can bypass that, we'll be in good shape.

As far as people driving alone, I'm guessing that 80% of the people don't have a choice. I know that I don't. Is it a good thing? No. Can we do very much about it? Not likely.