• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best lake for smallmouth and largemouth ?

ksdog

What lake or area combines for the best in size and numbers for smallmouth and largemouth ? With gas prices I want to stay concentrated in one area.

First place that comes to mind is New london/ spicer area. Hard pressed to find a better smallmouth lake than Green and many other lakes close by for good largmouth, green is o.k. for largies too.

St. Croix river is tough to beat around the metro area. OTherwise, Mille Lacs or Vermilion are top producers of smallies. OH! I forgot to mention the stretch of the sippi' between monticello and coon rapids dam area. HOTTTTTTT action. Oh, the Rum as well. The list is growing!!! You won't really find smallies and largemouth in the same water so much, although someone will most likely dispute that idea, just my observations...

There is a small lake in Wright county that I have -personally- caught both off the same darn spot.....but 'mum' is the word on location!

***Rant Warning***

I don't quite get posts like this. I totally respect everyone's right to keep things hush-hush. I guess that's how those little gems remain little gems. What I don't understand is when people respond to a post seeking information and then give none. 'I know a great spot on a great lake. I've caught tons of beauties here. But I'm not gonna tell you where it is.' Gee thanks, we're happy for ya.

Nothing against you personally bp2005- I don't know you in the least and you could be a swell guy for all I know. I just don't get the need to respond with 'I know, but I'm not gonna tell.' If you want to keep it to yourself, that's fine, no problem at all. But then keep it to yourself, I say. There is tons of great info shared on this site by many contributors. In my opinion a post like this goes very much against the grain of the friendly spirit of this site. Had I been the original poster I would much prefer no reply at all.

Rant over.

Regards,

Double

oh come on 'Double' just a little friendly goofing around here,

GOSH I wasn't trying to make a serious post.............man just having a -wee- bit of fun is all.The story is 100% true,if you wanna e-mail me I could explain more.

Smallie/largie waters are tough to find, but I would have to say there are several on da range. Some of my favorites that I don't mind mentioning are wabana, trout by wabana, trout by coleraine, and trout by vermillion. (am I starting to see a pattern develop?)

I would say Spicer would be a great base of bass operations. I will give you two great largemouth lakes to the North a bit. Long Lake by Regal, good lake but lots of traffic on weekends. Lake Johanna by Broten is probably the best largemouth lake I have ever fished, great numbers, huge size, basically no pressure (even on weekends), but can be extremely erratic to fish once the spawn is over. Caught a 6.5, 3-5's , 6-4's and 20 something 2-3 pounders in about 4 hours, that was my best day ever out there. But if the fish are not shallow in the weeds, you will be lucky to get any nice fish. It is a huge lake with lots spots to try. Usually it slows way down by July. Blackwell lake by Alex is a great largemouth lake, too.

Good Luck, jjz

How is the access to Johanna these days,I fished it during the high water years[5-10 years ago] and really chewed up props on some shallow areas in the lake,but you are correct,when the bite is on,the fishing is great with big portly bass slamming your lures.

Access is O.K. lately. Dont powerload and you should be totally fine. Just be carefull crossing the rock bar! I heard in the high water years it was crazy good. I fished the lake hard 2005/2006 it was some of the best bass fishing I have ever seen. I wish I could have fished it 15 years ago...

Later, jjz

What was your best day on Johanna? I have a couple buddies that caught a 7 and a couple 6's, plus tons of nice fish about 6 or 7 years ago. I think one of the coolest things about the lake is how mean those fish are, I once caught a 3 or 4 pounder that had the tail feathers of a grackel or blackbird sticking out its gullet and it still destroyed my jig.