• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie bearing question

MNpurple

Have my first boat, nothing special, 14 ft lund with a 2004 shorelander bunk trailer. Everything was very well taken care of and stored in the warm. Last fall I had my bearings repacked but ended up just having the guy put in new bearings, races and seals for peace of mind. Being my first boat and a lil nervous about everything, everytime I get to my destination, I get out of the truck and feel the inside and outside of both my hubs (have bearing buddies) just to make sure they arent smoking or burning up or anything. Well today I did that after a 45 minute ride at interstate speeds and each hub was just warm. Not hot by any means. Well this old timer comes up to me and tells me my hubs should always be cool to the touch, not warm at all no matter how far I traveled. WHat??

I cant believe after a 45 minute ride at 65mph, the hubs wouldnt be warm to the touch. I always thought they should be warm but never HOT to the touch. Do I have an issue or was this guy just feeding me a line saying they should feel cool always?

Mn purple I agree with valv just because last year before I went out to Colorado elk hunting the party had me redo both trailers bearings and on the way out there a few times they were warm enough to where you couldn't leave your hand on them for no more than a minute and this was because we had both trailers loaded to the max and were running average speeds of 75-80 MPH and the only time we stopped was for B-breaks and gas and that was about every two hundred miles or so and we had no problems with either one of them on a 4,000 mile round trip. I hope this helps ease your mind. wink