• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best replacement siding

ABC isn't that great, just my opinion.

For steel siding Edco and Revere are about as good as they come. I used Edco on my house in the dutch lap. It clips together better than Revere and is darn near as strong, if not as strong.

For vinyl I would choose either Revere, Certainteed, or Thunderbay, all in the big lengths for minimal splices and .046 thickness. They all have the 3/4" lap. For normal size siding (12.6 ft.) I would use Owens Corning .048. It is the heaviest vinyl I have seen.

With either of them you can add accents like super corners, lineals, shakes, scallops, etc.

Steel can dent and scratch. Vinyl can break or fade. Hardie will rot and has to be painted.

I choose steel over all, but for the price, high grade vinyl is very good. I wouldn't sell cement board to anyone. Looks old, needs painting, and can rot on your house.

I also wouldn't let anyone use "contractor only" stuff. It's a sales tactic.

Another thing is that vinyl is about the same price as steel to buy, but the steel labor is much higher because it is more particular and harder to work with. Very few do steel. Most do vinyl, next is cement board, both because the install is rather simple.