Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggs222

Fireworks? Where to get the good ones?

64 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get some good fireworks. Not like the ones in Wisconsin. I know you can buy M-80's, etc there, but they are not powerful at all.

I hear that you can get some good powerful stuff in South Dakota, is this true? If so, what would be the quickest trip from the cities?

yes we buy mortars and the Big Boy fireworks in SD. Just be careful with Mn plates when you come back to mn ,cops are looking for you expecting you were there for that. LOL I lost about 1000.00 worth last year less than a mile into mn.

Oh? No kidding? I guess I've never had that problem going to Wisco for them. Dang, I might have to lift someone's SD plates! I kid, I kid.

Any other states? Is there anywhere else in the 5 state area where the state patrol isn't on the lookout?

I know that there is some police officers, etc. on this site so let's just say that I'm gonna shoot them off in SD or wherever I buy them wink

Missouri, although a little farther away, there fireworks put everything to shame around here, Wisconsin, SD etc I don't recall the classes but I do recall there fireworks at least two years ago were a bigger class.

I don't think they will pull you over just because you have a MN license plate. Don't they still need probable cause?

They have their ways of getting you over they just deal with it in the courts. I know they set up stings ops coming over the Hudson bridge.Actually, its a sateration of Washington county deps and State highway patrolls.

This whole fireworks thing is just hilarious to me. What other illegal activity is promoted so heavily by neighboring states, that they will even go as far as setting up directly on the border to exploit it?

This is just one of those issues that frustrates me to no end. We now have to have police officers spending time monitoring “border crossers” trafficking illegal bottle rockets?

Lunacy

How bout a compromise? We buy a $5 permit to possess the “good stuff” maybe read a pamphlet on the dangers of it, then sign our name.

The state makes money, we get the “good stuff’ and everyone is happy………

C'mon dtro..... why would we want everyone happy grin

I thinks it is pretty silly myself, but it is what it is.

Good luck finding a true M-80. Firecrackers sold to the public in the U.S. can only have 50 milligrams or less of pyrotechnic composition per firecracker. A true M-80 contains much more than 50 milligrams, and is therefore illegal.

Plan and simple! To find them, they would have to be illegally imported, homemade or many years old. This translates into very unsafe and dangerous. Plus, the charges in MN (and the U.S. for that matter) for possessing these are very harsh and unforgiving. We are not talking about lighting a bottle rocket off in MN type of charge, much worse.

The last time I got my hands on (thank god I still have them) a true M-80’s or M-100’s, was back in high school. They where purchased out of trunk at a gas station in Coon Rapids and I was told they came from Mexico. I look back and thank god nothing happened. The laws where a little less harsh on them back then, but a finger loss due to a quick fuse could have happened at any time. Plus they are really only fun the first day or two you get them, then they go in a coffee can and sit until you tell someone you have them.

There are much better fireworks out there that you can enjoy and have less consequences using them. Also review state laws before purchasing any fireworks.

Good luck!

This whole fireworks thing is just hilarious to me. What other illegal activity is promoted so heavily by neighboring states, that they will even go as far as setting up directly on the border to exploit it?

This is just one of those issues that frustrates me to no end. We now have to have police officers spending time monitoring “border crossers” trafficking illegal bottle rockets?

Lunacy

How bout a compromise? We buy a $5 permit to possess the “good stuff” maybe read a pamphlet on the dangers of it, then sign our name.

Hey we can get sparklers ans snap pops, and jumping jacks, what else do you want crazy

One more point! Every firework that is made in the U.S. or for legal sale in the U.S. has to meet federal standards for pyrotechnic composition on some level.

When someone says “I get the good stuff”, they mean it. It comes down to how well a firework is made, on how well it's final end result is going to be. Unless illegally smuggled or made, the “bang” is going to be no bigger then the next legally made firework’s bang, unless it is a poorly made firework.

That’s true, but we can’t even get ones here in MN that go “pop” let alone bang.

I can make more noise with a ball of bubble wrap. smirk

Originally Posted By: dtro

Lunacy

Hey we can get sparklers ans snap pops, and jumping jacks, what else do you want crazy

I see you got snakes and sparklers,

but where's the good stuff, man?

Good stuff. This is the

good stuff. Snakes and sparklers.

Are you nuts, dude? You need

stuff that explodes, go boom.

-Why is that good?

-Well....

Well, you might as well

ask why is the tree good?

Why is the sunset good?

Why are boobs good?

Firecrackers. You stick them

in mailboxes, drop them in toilets...

...shove them up a bullfrog's butt.

I'd never do that because

I'm going to be a veterinarian.

There you go.

Someone shoves an M80 up a bullfrog's

butt, blows him to pieces...

...he comes back to you to fix it.

You win twice, brother. It's good biz.

You're saying you have no black cats,

Roman candles or screaming meemies?

Come on. You don't got no ladyfingers,

buzz bottles, snicker bombs...

...church burners, finger blasters, gut

busters, zippedy-doodas, krapp flappers?

No, I don't.

You're gonna stand there,

owning a fireworks stand...

...and say you have

no whistling bungholes...

...spleen splitters, whisker biscuits,

honkey lighters, Hüsker Düs and don'ts.

Cherry bombs, nipsy dazers, with

or without the scooter stick...

...or one single

whistling kitty-chaser?

No.

Because snakes and sparklers

are the only ones I like.

That might be your problem.

Ya, that law stinks, but if changed I think it would take away from the “Mission Impossible” rush some get from going across the border the week before the 4th. grin

Ahhh, Joe Dirt. That's awesome. How do firecrackers work anyway?

How does posi-track work? I dunno, it just does.

This state gets all proud of itself every time it over-regulates peoples' lives. If folks want to blow off their fingers...let 'em. If people want to have their brains spilled on the highway because they don't wear a motor cycle helmet...let 'em. Don't tell me it's for the public good or that it keeps health care costs down. I bet that we spend way more on enforcement of these rules than anything else.

I knew I heard/seen that some where. grin

Joe Dirte', it's Dirt, quit tryin to church it up son!

Actually a horrible movie that I cannot resist watching every time it's on, for some reason? That and Deuce Biggalow.

There is "good stuff" in WI and MI for that matter, you just have to know where to look.............

And Dtro, thanks for Joe Dirt quote...............Def Leopard SUCKS!!!

We have the same issues out east. They are illegal in NY but you can head down to PA and get stuff. NY bust a few people each year and puffs out its chest as a savior...

I actually wont touch the things. When I was a kid a friend of my dads took most of his thumb off with an m-80. My dad was standing right next to him when the dry fuse went off instantly. My dad had bone fragments in his arm and belly from his buddy...

Remember the "Good Ones" are illegal. Seems to me that people condone breaking the law here. How is this law different then laws governing fishing limits or slot limits?

You would never see a thread on here explaining the finer points of getting away with keeping illegal fish.

I guess most of us here just like to be selective when they decide which laws they want to follow. Next time you see a guy keep an illegal fish remember that you to like to selectively obey the laws. You aren't any better then that guy throwing his 10th walleye onto a stringer.

Nofishfisherman, have you ever jaywalked? That's illegal too. Have you ever peed on the ice? Ever driven 56 in a 55? So is that. There are a lot of stupid laws out there. These are firecrackers we're talking about, a little bit different than poaching our natural resources. It's not like I'm asking for a meth recipe here!

Yes, I have "broke" some laws. I went 73 in a 70 this last weekend.

Does that still give people the right to bring in illegal fireworks?

In honor of the 4th of July, I think I will ignore all slot limits and keep all muskies I catch. The law is stupid anyway and who cares about ethics.

That is what you are saying in this topic anyway....

We are talking fireworks, that can impact the environment. How many of you pick up all the garbage from fireworks afterwards? How many of you shoot them over a lake?

If you want to buy them, I can't stop you and I really don't care if you do. But, to openly talk about breaking the this law on these forums is not right.