• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any muskie action?

Our group managed a 45.5" on Holcombe and a 40 and 41" on Wissota last night. Not bad, but not great - hopefully with some cooler nights and dropping water temps things should pick up. Of course for me about prime time archery opens and the musky rods start collecting dust.....just not enough time for everything.

the muskie fishing wasnt what i had hoped on our trip up north. only saw a couple fish in the three days, but we ended up spending quite a bit of time walleye fishing and doing quite well. regardless, the weather was beautiful and it was good to be back in wisconsin and out on the lake. hopefully i will make a few fall trips up north to try to put one more ski in the boat for the season...

Out of curiousity, which lakes did you fish? I broke my fishless streak behind the house and got a 43" Fri night on the Chippewa R. 40" was my goal this year so I'm happy with that, time left for an upgrade!

Our group got a 41.5 and a 35, one on Holcombe and one on Wissota last night. I'm gonna hit the backyard again tonight. Have a new crawler/creeper bait a bud made that sounds great(to me) in the water - we'll see if the muskies agree...

Rusk is no different than anywhere else, fall musky fishing is generally good. I heard Wissota had turned over, so lakes in Rusk should have also.

I am not familiar with Amacoy and have not fished Potato in fall. I would guess the walleyes on Chain would be biting. On Chain you always have the chance of seeing and catching gar, which are pretty cool looking fish. Potato has some dandy largemouth, not sure if they are active in fall or not.

I would suggest not leaving the dock without several sucker minnows - take advantage of the 3 rod rule in WI.

Our club had a small 'tourney' on Holcombe Sat and boated 7 fish for about a dozen guys if thats an option for you. Good luck and post a report!

Will do. It's my brothers turn to pick a lake to try and he looked at the fyke net numbers for Amacoy in our lake map book, and I can tell you I don't believe the numbers in there one bit. The numbers look like something from a 10,000 acre lake, not a 278 acre lake (ie 113 pike over 29", >1000 walleye over 15"). Was hoping to get some angler rhetoric to back up the claim, but all I got is a creel summary from 03 that indicates a below average performer for most species, while an average performer for the skis.

I know some guys in the club that fish Amacoy and from what I've heard it would be classified as a numbers water. Lower Long has some dandy smallies and the walleyes are abundant with a slot being in place for numerous years, its starting to kick out some nice fish. Clear water there with mostly rock/wood structure although the cabbage has made a decent comeback - some big fish in there if you can find them.

Another option....I heard the walleyes are going bonkers on Wissota and I could put you on muskies there. When are you going? As I'm sure you know, don't let the 'walleyes going bonkers' deal pursuade you too much, things can change in a hurry. However Oct on Wissota kicks out more muskies for guys than the rest of the year put together.

wow that is an impressive fish from rice. i guess i shouldnt travel quite so far north. i am headed to the hayward area next weekend, hopefully drag some suckers and maybe raise a few fish throwing some bulldawgs/DCG's. it will probably be my last trip of the season so hopefully i will see some fish. ill be sure to post a report.

Never seen a ski on Rice, though it's usually pea soup on the main lake and seeing anything would be a miracle. The back areas of the lake are loaded with with small bass and pike, but I haven't seen anything with much size there.

Fished for an hour below a dam last night, spent 6 bucks on a big sucker. Had it out for about 5 minutes when it got hit, just about ready to set the hook when the bobber settled down. Slowly began taking in line....all the way back to shore with no sucker cry Casted after that with nothing happening.

$6.00 well spent, hey? grin

You making any more trips up our way? I was down on Shell last week but it was pretty slow. I was drifting some deeper water for walleyes and each time I got in shallow, I'd get a small mouth so they were biting good. A few boats in the bay but I didn't try it there and not sure what they were getting.

Well, we did in fact go to Amacoy. My dad missed a strike and that was the only fish saw. Unfortunately the wind was really kicking up from the south Saturday and the only prime looking spot on the lake was right in the wind. By evening when the wind finally got to a manageable level there were some duck hunters using the bullrushes as cover. Threw just about everything, trolled for a while, and even the live bait wasn't turning up anything. Just overall slow, didn't see anyone else get anything. A lot of shots fired in the area, not sure how many of those were hits in the wind though.