• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Deep bite today...

Deitz Dittrich

I fished a small lake in my area this morning and caught a few fish shallow in the early morning. That bite died pretty quick, and all I saw was a bunch of empty bed or sunfish shallow. I headed to a large weed flat and tied on a jig worm and a texas rig. Turned to be a good decision.. caught fish in as little as 9 feet and as deep as big fish of the day 4.5lbs in about 16 feet. I would say most fish came in that 13-14 foot range.

I didn't expect them to be there because of the water temps, but is common for this time of the year. Many of the famales I caught I thought still had eggs in them.. OR have been feading heavy after the spawn as they has some serious beer guts on em. Boated probably 20 fish on a 30 yard stretch.

Just a heads up, start checking a few deep spots...

I started catching them on the outside weed edge in 10-12 feet of water yesterday on a crankbait. They were suspended out on the edge. However, I also caught a big female that still had eggs in it, in about 4ft of water on a jig...hmmm. This has been a goofy spring. Two weeks ago I was seeing crappies and bass spawning in the same bay at the same time, kind of odd.

Personally, I can't wait for the bass to start getting into their summer patterns. Its been kinda slow the last week or so for me.

BPA...

A bedding bass is one that will be guarding the nest to protect the new fry. They will typically be hovering over the nest and chasing gills and crappies out as they try to come in and eat the lil'uns. During the actual spawn they are a bit more subdued, but you will se both on the bed... I will let Deitz explain what he saw last week on Forest.

The empty beds look like little sandy circles on the bottom of the lake. Sometimes you find small gravel in the bottom of them but most of the time, the bass clear out a circle about 3-6' in diameter generally over a sandy bottom. The beds wont have weeds in them again until later in the summer, and they look a lot like a crater on the moon if you have seen those photos. We saw a lot of fish on beds tonight for FBL. Mainly males still guarding the nests but there were plenty of gills trying to get their way with the fry.

I could have taken pictures of hundreds last night. I will be out on the water Saturday and will be sure to snap a few photos. If I were heading to the lake rather than the river tomorrow I would be able to get them there. Gotta try some smallie action. whistle

I'm sneaking out of here early today. I think the warmer sunnier weather these last 2-3 days is going to jump start something. I'm a bit bothered that some of those females won't be spawning this year. WEIRD spring to say the least. Cripes!!! I hope that the deep bit starts going soon.

I believe some fish have not spawned yet as well....If you believe what you read, some times I do some times i don't!!! The people in the know say the full moon has a lot to do with the spawn ....That is today, and since the the last full moon the water was too cold for the spawn you think this week should see the last of the spawn...Is there any truth too the full moon theory? I feel like sometimes the more I hear the less I know....and so far this year I'm sure I know nothing!!!......Some thoughts!...uplander

Well I snuck out and fished a small lake just north of Winstead from 130-430. Started on inside weed edge... nothing. Went deep to a weed edge point with a xjig and within a dozen casts or so, stuck a nice 19 incher. I thought I was on to something.... nope. That was my only fish. I was hoping that the deeper weed edge 10-12 ft which almost completely surrounds this lake right now could provide a steady pattern but there was none there. The weeds are super thick and matted on this lake almost a neon green color out to 9ish feet. I'm thinking the pigs are under all that slop. I tried flipping a 1oz pegged bullet sinker with a berkley power craw to get through but had no takers there either. Things that make you go hmmmmmm? Water temp on inside weed edge was 75 and outside toward main lake area was 72 degrees. This lake was about 385 acres.

I dunno uplander - I think it's water temp. I also think that the big girls spawn first. As on Opener huge 20" bass were on the beds or about to be. (Avatar pic) Then things went down hill as far as size. At least this is what I've noticed over the years. As of last week most females spawned,(SW Metro) but I caught 2 that didn't. Or like Deitz said they've been feeding heavily. I think it's spawn still, that's a lot of weight in a short period of time to pack on. The 18" (biggest that one day last week) had a small belly but the lower fin and bottom tail was still jacked.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll look deep next time out.

Hey Deitz, how big was the lake you were on? Just trying to get an idea to the lake's I fish. My uncle e-mailed you about wbl. (That would be Scotty B.). They definetly aren't deep there yet. I tried to pm. ya but it wouldn't work.

I couldn't find anything shallow last night, the sunnies are thick on the beds. It was pretty slow, managed 2 small guys from about 12' feet of water. My partner got skunked. Right as we were wrapping up and he was breaking down his rod I spied a decent bass cruising, lead her by about 15' on the cast with a rubber worm. Wow, she actually went for it, it was my first bass ever on this lake by sightfishing. The water's pretty clear right now, soon to be pea green. It felt good to score a 19"er on the last cast of the night. The algae bloom from last Friday till last night was pretty incredible, I couldn't even fish in most of the areas I fished just 5 days before.

Funbilly--- Very small maybe only a couple hundread acres, and no deeper than about 30 foot deep.. the water is already somewhat stained... but the Curly pond weed is hanging on.

It may be a week or so yet before you find numbers of fish deep, but some are on there way there...

Feel free to e-mail me any time.

[email protected]

Oh yea, I forgot to add this....

I caught my first ever tip-up last night, decent sized, black HT round one, with some tiger braid attached. Put up a decent fight, I was like what the....? Dogfish? Hooked it mid-line, one end led to some brush. Removed as much line as possible, and took my trophy home and threw her in the trash. smile

No, I tried to get some photos but they didn't turn out. I will try again the next time I am out. I was out this morning but the lake I fished today already had a strong bloom going and you couldn't see a chrome colorado blade a foot deep so no beds today. Did get a lot of fish though, and the best big fish day so far this year.